What's new

Camera problems when using widescreen on Jabo's 3D8 video plugin

Smoke1

When I try playing certain games in widescreen like first person shooters the camera is so glitchy it makes it almost unplayable. I don't have a video but if you want to see it for yourself just go into project 64, checkmark the 'adjust aspect ratio to match screen' option in advanced settings and then load up a game like Turok and you'll see what I mean. It also happens in some games with a 3rd person view but games like Mario Kart and Super Mario can do widescreen with no issues. Is there a way to fix this problem at all?

Toasty

Sony battery
There's no universal way to make games that were designed to render output at a fixed aspect ratio render prettily at a different aspect ratio. The games were designed with a 4:3 frame in mind, so many will render strange output when a different aspect ratio is forced. On the other hand, as you noted, some games have few or no issues when the aspect ratio is changed, and those are the games the feature is most useful for. :p

Per-game hacks are probably the only way to work around the issue for the games that have problems, and those are not usually trivial to develop.

Last edited:
OP
S

Smoke1

Yeah that's what I thought but thanks anyway :) I have another question. In some games when you play in widescreen there are things that still display in 4:3. Like for example in Mario Kart it displays the tracks in widescreen without a problem but it renders the sky in 4:3 so most of the sky on the right side is black. Not a big deal but kind of an eyesore. It would also be nice to stretch the HUD out in some games like Zelda so it fits the screen. Can you play in widescreen while stretching out the things that still display in 4:3?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
No, unless a game is coded is such a way that all screen elements stretch accordingly if the native aspect ratio is overridden.