What's new

blight input

juwb

blight doesn't seem to read his PMs, so I'll just have to post my feature request here: :whistling

In games like Zelda OoT you have to aim a lot in first-person mode (with slingshot, bow, hook, etc.). Using the keyboard, this can't be done very accurately - it's so bad that from some positions, you can't hit your target at all.

Using the mouse provides higher accuracy, but somehow I'm not comfortable using a mouse to play N64. And I don't have a N64-style gamepad...

Anyway, I thought it'd be great if accurate aiming using the keyboard was possible. For example if I use W/S/A/D for Up/Left/Down/Right, using Shift + W/S/A/D could cut the speed.

To see if this was actually possible I modified the hardcoded axis value (80/-80) and set it for testing purposes to (20/-20). And voila, aiming with keyboard now was no longer a problem. Of course, this way I couldn't walk around anymore... ;-)

While modifying constant values is easy, I'm not familiar enough with C/C++ yet to add this feature myself. Maybe you like the idea and have some free time to implement it... I'd really appreciate it :)

ciruZ

juwb: If you want that, just take Hacktarux plugin and edit the header file to change the keys. Or wait until my plugin is finished, but that won't be too soon since I'm too lazy to write a config dialog when I can edit my configs with a hexeditor ;).
Btw, you can use Mouse and Keyboard together in blight's. So you can play with the keyboard and aim with the mouse ;).

OP
juwb

juwb

Yes, yes, I know blight's input plugin supports the mouse together with the keyboard. But I can't use the mouse for anything else if I enable that, for example in windowed mode the mouse is just gone. That's why I want to use the keyboard only.

As for Hacktarux plugin, I don't have no idea how to make it work.

blight

blight_input-0.0.9

0.0.9:
- import new version of SDL_tff (2.0.7)
- when the keyboard is used to control an axis left shift can be pressed to change
the axis movement to 25% of the original value

ciruZ

blight: better would be: shift means 25% less, ctrl 50% less.
That way, you can have 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% ;). That's the way I use in my plugin and it's really useful.

blight

good idea, ciruZ
i also added the possibility to release the mouse grab by pressing left ctrl+alt (like in VMware)

0.0.10:
- when the keyboard is used to control an axis left shift and left control can be
pressed to change the axis movement. shift reduces the movement by 25%, control
reduces it by 50%, control and shift together reduce the movement by 75%
- when the mouse is used left ctrl + left alt can be used to release the mouse,
clicking into the window will grab the mouse again.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I guess that has something to do with the picture of the n64 pad for the config dialog box ;)

OP
juwb

juwb

The blight-input config dialog looks nice, but it eats 100% CPU on my system for some reason...

ciruZ

juwb: That's because it uses SDL in a game-like loop.
blight: Yes, but I just thought that the difference between 1.1 MB and 313 KB is a bit big ;).

chadrehak

i'm running mupen on a mac right now, and i'm using an xbox controller. i can get the blight plugin to read everything but.. my axis just holds left the entire time, like it's stuck.

any help?