What's new

Best Plugin For GoldenEye

Iconoclast

First of all, I recommend that you use the 1964 emulator for this game, and nothing else. Project64 has a couple of glitches when used with Rice's Video Plugin in this game's case, so don't use that. Mupen64 works great, but not with Jabo's DirectSound, the plugin I recommend for this game. Nemu64 has an outstanding sound plugin, but emulates the GoldenEye music perversively. So, that leaves us stuck with 1964.

For graphics, you COULD use Jabo's Direct3D with Project64, but another plugin is slightly better for this game. I recommend Rice's Video Plugin with the following settings: (Enter the plugin configuration, and turn on these settings in the Current Game Options tab.)
  • Accurate Texture Mapping: On (fixes some small texture issues)
  • Normal Alpha Blender: Off (makes white circles show up in game intro)
  • Normal Color Combiner: Off (prevents coloration issues)
I suppose you could also enable the Texture LOD option, but this may be risky for the in-game polygons, at least on the Dam level, so I don't recommend it. Again, this plugin will be a problem in Project64, so only use this plugin for 1964, or at least as long as you're playing GoldenEye.

As for sound, normally, Azimer's Audio Plugin would be a substitute choice for Jabo's DirectSound, but this game has strange sound programming that can deceive all audio plugins I have tested. The problem is not crackling, but when the Rareware logo comes up, Azimer's doesn't properly emulate the sound like DirectSound does. Only Jabo's DirectSound emulates the sound for this game perfectly. Just make sure you have Sync Game to Audio checked in your audio plugin configuration. Jabo's DirectSound should not be used with Mupen64 for this game in particular, as there will be crackling, Sync Game to Audio or not.

I don't care which input plugin you use.

To make Jabo's DirectSound, which is usually a bad choice of an audio plugin for the 1964 emulator, work in 1964, you need to use Project64's RSP plugin as your 1964 RSP plugin.

Last edited: