What's new

Best plugin and settings for Paper Mario?

BlazeE

Alright, I can get it to run, but the start screen and the choose file screens are VERY VERY buggy and glitchy. I'm using Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family for my video. Can anyone recommend the best video plugin and settings for running Paper Mario for my video card?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There is none, AFAIK. That integrated graphics chip sets you so far back in the graphics plugin choices, that I don't think that any plugin that works well with Paper Mario works with that chip.

Case in point, Glide64 which is widely considered the best one, but it requires a good video card to work properly, and won't work with that Intel chip.

OP
B

BlazeE

Ah, I see. That's not too bad though, Paper Mario is the only game I really found any issues in running, and even then it's still playable, just the start screen sucks. Thanks for your help!

Clements

You could try using the eVoodoo/zeckensack's wrapper with Glide64, but it will not work as good as the included wrapper does when using a decent graphics card. However, it might work a little better than what you are using at the moment. The Intel chip prevents you from using the high quality wrapper (Glitch64) that comes with Glide64.

OP
B

BlazeE

Actually, Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.3.3 seems to be working everything the best I've seen so far. No flickering, or anything. Everything works flawlessly, except until I go into Merlon's house, then the FPS drops. It's not so bad, it's really only the music slowing down bugging me, lol. I don't mind putting up with it, but if there's any options that I could enable to get rid of this FPS drop in his house, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Oh good, nice to see that some plugin actually does work without much problems with Intel chips. About the slowdown, I experience that myself as well, with Glide64. No, I don't know how to get rid of it. Is the slowdown even that huge of a problem?

OP
B

BlazeE

Nah, like I said, I was just wondering. I don't mind it at all, I usually don't need to make stops there anyway. Thanks for all the help!

mudlord

Banned
Actually, Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.3.3 seems to be working everything the best I've seen so far. No flickering, or anything. Everything works flawlessly, except until I go into Merlon's house, then the FPS drops.

Yeah, the current version lacks hardware framebuffer emulation. Adding that would require a rewrite of the framebuffer code to work properly.