What's new

Best/most compatible PS2 emulator?

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Pardon my somewhat n00bish question, but which is the most compatible PS2 emulator? Are any of them near the quality of N64 emulators? :unsure:

FlotsamX

And, amazingly enough: PCSX2 is the ONLY American PS2 emulator out there. The PS2 is actually a very difficult console to emulate, so much so that even the Playstation 3 sometime exhibits problems emulating it. But, for such a difficult console, the progress is going along excellent. There is a 60% compatability rate with all PS2 games, and THAT means that 60% of all PS2 games can be played from beginning to end on it! The main problem now, is the extremely slow speeds that occur due to the emulator's infantality. Most games can't play faster than 5FPS... not to mention, there is virtually no support from dial-up users, considering that 1 ROM can have a filesize as large as 3GB... o_O

synch

Well, certainly you're talking about something you don't have much idea about.

And, amazingly enough: PCSX2 is the ONLY American PS2 emulator out there.

Where did you get that it's AMERICAN? Afaik, most of the coders are from Europe.

(...) The main problem now, is the extremely slow speeds that occur due to the emulator's infantality.

No, the emulator is almost as advanced as it can get. Some minor speed ups are possible, but don't count on the minimum requirements to go any lower. Technically the PS2 is a quite powerful machine when all the chips are taken into account, not to mention it's architecture is nothing like the PC (for example, some basics, like floating point, are completely different).

Most games can't play faster than 5FPS... not to mention, there is virtually no support from dial-up users, considering that 1 ROM can have a filesize as large as 3GB... o_O

Because YOU MUST dump your OWN GAMES. This is not a warez tool, is an emulator for your own bought games.

FlotsamX

Well, sorry, I did get my information from a source that might be unreliable, but no need to act all superior. >.>

And sorry about the American thing, I meant to say "English", as in the language. I have seen a Japanese emulator, but it doesn't work anywhere as good as the >*"ENGLISH"<* version.

zaba_3

Well, sorry, I did get my information from a source that might be unreliable, but no need to act all superior. >.>

And sorry about the American thing, I meant to say "English", as in the language. I have seen a Japanese emulator, but it doesn't work anywhere as good as the >*"ENGLISH"<* version.

actually there is other "english" emulators for ps2 too.
Ps2emu and nsx2 to be named

FlotsamX

Well... yet again, my source was mis-informed, as I see... I haden't seen any PS2 emulators around, and when that guy told me their WASN'T anymore, I just asumed it to be true. Of course, this was in early 2006. Sorry. XD

spotanjo3

Because YOU MUST dump your OWN GAMES. This is not a warez tool, is an emulator for your own bought games.

Are you sure ? I know warez is against the rules here but it will work fine if you have core 2 duo and many of the games run very good speed. It have nothing to do with a must own games for good speed. I don't think so... I rip my own ps2 game and run it just fine and download same ps2 game I rip and run it just fine. I just thought you might know that it is not necessarily to tell people about that if you never tried it and you just guess it cannot because you must dump your own games to run good speed... nonsense. :)

I dont support warez here but you got my idea of why I do not agreed with your conception. The reason he have a slow fps is maybe that he do not have core 2 duo nor powerful computer to handle pcsx2 emulator, you know. :)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
It have nothing to do with a must own games for good speed. I don't think so... I rip my own ps2 game and run it just fine and download same ps2 game I rip and run it just fine. I just thought you might know that it is not necessarily to tell people about that if you never tried it and you just guess it cannot because you must dump your own games to run good speed... nonsense. :)
I think synch knows this. I also think that his reply was more of a general, heated answer for people who always complain about slow speeds and something about having "viarually no support form dial-up users", hinting that the person in question is already criticizing the difficulty of downloading PS2 games from the Internet, and then finding out that the game he downloaded doesn't doesn't run as well as he hoped.

Which in turn led synch to reply with "This is not a warez tool".

FlotsamX

I don't download PS2 games... and I know full-well that the emulators cannot run games at optimal performance. I got that information from a BAD source, and I'm sorry, okay?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I wasn't trying to chew you out, just clarifying what seemed like a hard to understand post.