What's new

Banjo-Kazooie stops every 20 seconds while playing (for a second).

garett

Hello everybody! :) Need some help with Project64 1.6 - there are some "freezes" while playing Banjo-Kazooie. Every 25-20 seconds game is stopping for a second. FPS is OK (60), graphic is excellent - but all that "freezes" makes me nervous. I tried to change plugins but no result :-( This problem is only with Banjo-Kazooie; Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Super Mario 64 are running PERFECTLY. So what is the problem, how do you think? :cry:

Sgt_Slaughter1

umm so im really new to emulators and im kinda winging it but i was having the same problem so i downloaded the rdb thing too and im just wonderin is there any special way i can like put it on my emulator like plug ins? or does it just automatically do something?

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
umm so im really new to emulators and im kinda winging it but i was having the same problem so i downloaded the rdb thing too and im just wonderin is there any special way i can like put it on my emulator like plug ins? or does it just automatically do something?

You can get that help if you go to the project64 website and then clicking on the Project64 Help Section Welcome to PJ64 and Emutalk Sgt_Slaughter1

Sgt_Slaughter1

thanks for the help lol ill try that but one more question about the rdb thing if you look at my topic (controller question) i talk about only 2 keys working under some circumstances and i was wondering if the rdb update thing might fix that too? id go into detail on it but i figured itd be easier to look at it

Allnatural

thanks for the help lol ill try that but one more question about the rdb thing if you look at my topic (controller question) i talk about only 2 keys working under some circumstances and i was wondering if the rdb update thing might fix that too? id go into detail on it but i figured itd be easier to look at it
It's a hardware limitation, so no.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Like Allnatural said, it's a hardware limitation found in many keyboards. Experiment with different key bindings until you find one that works. Or, you know, get an actual gamepad with a decent analog stick and enough buttons. Nintendo64 games weren't designed to be played with a keyboard. Besides, you'll never have the same kind of fine tuned control with a keyboard that an analog stick offers -- some games even require this.

Sgt_Slaughter1

well i just tried messing with my layout and i no longer use the space bar so it works great now! =D but i checked the help page thingy and i couldnt find any help on installing the rdm thing maybe im not looking hard enough or some crap but im sure itd be alot easier to understand if some one told me in lamens lol itd be really appreciated if some one could point out to me a little better where the thing is in the help page or explain to me how to install it

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Project64's RDB file. You don't "install" it, just overwrite the old one in the Project64 folder with the new one.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
well i just tried messing with my layout and i no longer use the space bar so it works great now! =D but i checked the help page thingy and i couldnt find any help on installing the rdm thing maybe im not looking hard enough or some crap but im sure itd be alot easier to understand if some one told me in lamens lol itd be really appreciated if some one could point out to me a little better where the thing is in the help page or explain to me how to install it

Ok when you say installing the rdm, you mean replacing the rdb right?
to do that you go to your project64 folder by default that would be 'C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6' or if you are on Windows 7 it probably be 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6' once you have opened the folder it should look like this Below:

pjfolder_1.png

Once you have your Project64 Folder open

pjfolder_2.png

Click on the Project64.rdb file and rename either by right mouse click/rename

pjfolder_3.png

after the .rdb add another .bak to render it inactive to pj64

pjfolder_4.png

a popup dialog will ask if you are sure you want to rename the file, just click yes

pjfolder_5.png

now with the RDB that you downloaded from here make sure you have extraxted the Prroject64.rdb file from that folder and just drag or copy into the project64 folder.

You have now updated your Rom Datbase 'RDB'

As for using Project64 you might want to try the interactive Tutorial to just get a feel of it with setting etc.

you can find it here

Sgt_Slaughter1

ok never mind just noticed your long and VERY helpful pictures lol (didnt notice this page went to 2) but i did all u said and beside the one i downloaded and copied there (kinda winged that part seems i was on the right track) but theres an "RDX" file... i doubt its the same but if i need to i can post a picture of my folder... but i have no idea how to =P

so thats weird... my friend whos really good with computers tried helping me today and he like renamed the rdb i downloaded and just took off the .rdb at the end so i tried putting it back on and my entire graphics cut out like the screen was black so i went back and changed it back

actaully come to think of it im thinking of deleting my p64 emulator and reinstall it so i can start new but is there any way i can make sure i dont lose my saved data?

oh my god... after doing that all the saved data i have is either gone or doesnt want to load...

ooook after editing the crap out of this post.... i reinstalled PJ64 because i thought it deleted my stuff and everything and after reinstalling it then trying to follow your directions my stuff came back! ...but it didnt do the "original rdb wont work" thing after i renamed it but i tried doing the rest of it afterwards and it seems the rdb may not have been the problem or something because after following your directions it is still doing it lol if you dont have any other ideas on what to do next im content on saying im just not gonna break my emulator again and living with the lag lol but either way all of your help has helped me A LOT simply because even if it didnt fix my problem i have learned quite a lot

Last edited: