What's new

An Old Problem, involving BSOD

MStyles

This is my first post here, and it's for help(I apologize). Well anyways, not that long ago I decided to play an old game I've been wanting to play for the longest. Fire Pro D. It's a wrestling game made by Spike. The series is said to be the best wrestling games out there; and I did have some experience with the somewhat more recent game on the GBA(played on an emulator).

So anyway I download Chankast, get the bios, and that such. I had trouble with it for a day or two until I realized that I needed to mount an image. Now I already had the game file under .mds and .mdf and I was told to download daemontools. I was fine with that so I downloaded it, and mounted the image. Now I brought up the Chankast emulator and started playing. 5 minutes into the match everything stops. The screen goes black and then returns to a blue screen. Fuck. I thought, it's not going to happen again and so once it rebooted I went to play again. Fuck.

Same thing happened. The BSOD pissed me off big time, as it continously interrupted me even when Chankast wasn't even up. Pissed off my brothers as well. So a couple days later it began to stop with the BSODs. Not often would it pop up but then one day I decided to stop messing with the computer and I suppose my brother got on for a bit and completely solved the problem. I haven't seen one BSOD since. He told me that it was because of bad RAM and then rambled on about how much it costs and that I can't afford it. At least not yet anyways. So weeks later, my desire to give FPD attempt once again lived again. Although I'm not sure what will come out of this.

But then I found this forum and decided to share my experience. So, you guys probably have more experience then I do with Chankast and other emulators. Can you give your opinions on my problem? Something wrong with the computer? Share some experiences and what not? Anyone?

GCFreak

Yeah, sounds like a hardware problem. Also, RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, you can get some good ones from Newegg. Also, price rises depending on what brand you want, and the amount of RAM. It probably isn't the RAM though, maybe your hardware overall isn't up to the task of running Chankast. What's your specs?

OP
M

MStyles

Yeah, sounds like a hardware problem. Also, RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, you can get some good ones from Newegg. Also, price rises depending on what brand you want, and the amount of RAM. It probably isn't the RAM though, maybe your hardware overall isn't up to the task of running Chankast. What's your specs?
Thanks for the reply, and my specs are in my sig. And if theirs anything more I need to give information about then let me know what exactly it is.

GCFreak

Hmm, your CPU doesn't meet the requirements, I have 4 Athlons here, 3 of them Athlon XPs, and one Athlon 64. All 4 of them can run Chankast at a decent speed, although their one of the higher end Athlons. The weakest of them is a 2500+, and I don't think your 1700+ could be able to run Chankast. How much RAM do you have?

OP
M

MStyles

I have 512 MB of RAM.

And thepreserver, I'm not sure what a controller has to do with anything I said but I'll check out nullDC.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
And thepreserver, I'm not sure what a controller has to do with anything I said but I'll check out nullDC.
nullDC doesn't support gamepads, hence why you have to use a keyboard --> joypad mapper like XPadder.

OP
M

MStyles

I decided to use NullDC, and it works perfectly. It's great, though it doesn't really run full speed for the game but that's alright.

Is it possible to use the VMS browsers, or anything like that? I have a couple saves I'd like to use.

Err... I can't even save either.

Last edited: