What's new

a question about snes roms

realworksuks

I've been playing these roms for many years. And I figured out the basic things, like J = Japanese U = US and E= european. Besides that though I don't know what the other things mean in the filenames for example: [!] , (PD) ,(NG),(ST), some have numbers like this (39482), some have version names (V1.1), seen something like HM04, and also what is a header? I've probably missed some of the things that I have seen, but could someone who knows about all this tell me about not just what i've said here, but all the variables i'll run into later? Thanks in advance!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/GoodCodes

A header usually contains some bits of info such as the internal name of the ROM and copier info. Copiers put headers in ROMs so thatthe the ROM can be run on a copier. Emulators do not need headers. Removing a header from the ROM only removes the header bytes that were put there by a copier but doesn't remove the internal name.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Thre are only minor differences between versions, sometimes so minor that you don't even notice that something is different. Version upgrades usually fix grammar, bugs, add protection checks, etc.

Just stick with v1.0, you'll be perfectly happy with that.

As far as SNES roms are concerned, scanning a rom with NSRT will tell you whether the ROM has a header or not.

Last edited: