What's new

A Newb Looking for a Little Help

blahster

Just last Friday, my friends went to this weekly Arcade Tourney thing where they just play SF3:3rd Strike. Even though this game is pretty old, I somehow wanted to join in on the fun, since I enjoy Tourneys.

So here is/are my question/s:
Is there an updated Tutorial that teaches you everything to make it work from Zip to Sha-Zam?

Or
Could you people explain what:
Bios
Bins
autostart / flashboot / autoboot
iso
cdi
And the terms that people use ?
So far I've got the Chankast.25 and the pal fixed of sf3:3s and daemon 3.46
The error I get after following the Tutorial from ZweiFuss is : Cannot Locate any Input plugin.

Thanks in Advance to anyone and everyone that helps ^.^

~Newb in Distress

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I'll explain a few terms.

BIOS = Basic Input/Output System. A piece of software that interacts with the hardware, and has basic all funtions to initialize the hardware, runs checks, etc. Your computer has a BIOS as well, otherwise your computer wouldn't start.

In console/arcade/handheld emulators, a BIOS file(s) are needed for the same reason. For those emulators/systems that don't use a BIOS, like the SNES or the N64 for example, the BIOS is still there but it was included in the game carts themselves, and not as a chip on the mainboard.

BINs = Binary CD images. We just say BINs whenever there's talk about CD images that are in .BIN format.

Autoboot or selfboot = A term used for Dreamcast CD images (or CD-Rs if you use them on the real Dreamcast) that boot automatically when you start the emulator or the console. The flipside of this is non-selfboot/non-autoboot which needs a bootdisc to make the game start.

ISO = Another CD image format.

CDI = CloneCD Image. Another CD image format.

others may correct and add things.

About your problem: Make sure that the Chankast folder has chankast_input.dll and/or chankast_input_semi.dll. Also remember to configure your controls.

Last edited:
OP
B

blahster

thanks.
for this game to work on chankast, would I need a real Disc or is Daemon supposed to mount it for me so that I don't need a real disc?
If i need a real disc, by BootDisc, is that an extra file that you attach with the game to put on the disc or is it a special type of disc that you have to buy that is called a BootDisc?

Detailed Help from people who know and have SF3:3rdStrike working on ChanKast would be appreciated by Aim'ing me at :Icemanx1o1

Thanks again.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Normal DVD-ROM drives can't read Dreamcast's GD-ROM discs as is.

Chankast works best with mounted CD images, but you can try it with *actual* CD-Rs (read: GD-ROM discs that were ripped and then burned onto a normal CD-R) as well, but get ready for possible read errors.

A bootdisc is just another CD image that you mount in DT so that Chankast can then read it. After the bootdisc has loaded, you unmount the bootdisc image and mount the game image. I don't know how well the Utopia bootdisc works on Chankast, since all my games are selfboot.

And yes, SF3: Third Strike works in Chankast. At least NTSC image does.