What's new

Basic Audio 2 plug-in bug

petronius79

It happened 2-3 times so it might be a bug or it might be because of my configurations: when I use Azimer audio version 0.40 and uncheck the first box in the sound settings the sound stops no matter what game is loaded. when I check the box again it hasnt sound.
Now there comes the bug:
when I change the sound plug-in with the box in 0.40 settings unchecked to Basic Audio 1 or 2, Basic Audio neither has sound even if I close and reopen 1964.
And even if I check the box and 0.40 has sound the situation remains the same with Basic plug-in
Only when I use zilmar audio does the sound reappear but when I choose again Basic Audio 1 or 2 it is a matter of chance if it will have sound again. The sound reappeared suddenly and I dont know how.
Thats why now I left the sound settings unchanged and use Basic Audio 2 because with it 1964 performs the fastest performance

I use 1964 ver 0.8.5
with Daedalus 0.03 and N-rage 1.81 Input

iq_132

Banned
Try Using a few other sound plugins, even try a different version of Azimer's, or wait for his super, dooper version 0.50 to come out in a month :)

schibo

Emulator Developer
There are 2 important things to consider when N64 audio is emulated:

Step1: - One purpose of the N64's RSP is for processing audio*.
Step2: - DirectSound provides the means to interface with your sound card. It sends the preprocessed audio to your sound card.

The basic audio plugins do NOT do Step 1. They only do Step 2. What this means is, you need some other means to process the audio, or you will hear nothing. If you use the rsp plugin and let it preprocess the audio, then you will hear the processed sound when it is later pumped through the basic audio plugin. (In certain other cases, like a demo rom that doesn't require the rsp for audio processing, you will also hear sound.)

Certain audio plugins like Azimer's HLE audio do their own audio processing. Azi's plugin additionally generates the audio that is processed. (So, it does steps1 and 2). What this basically comes down to is, there is no need to enable the rsp plugin separately to hear audio with Azimer's plugin.

Low-Level Emulation (LLE) vs. High-Level Emulation (HLE):
So, letting the HLE audio plugin process the audio instead of the rsp plugin is faster because it is very difficult to get LLE fast, and LLE is what pj64's RSP plugin is doing. The advantage of LLE is 100% accurate emulation of audio processing, assuming there are no bugs (but HLE can achieve 100% also). In the simplest of terms, LLE reverses what the chip is doing, and HLE simulates what code is doing at the function-level.

*Note: The RSP is also used for other things, but for now we are just discussing audio.

schibo

Emulator Developer
Now that I've said all that :)...assuming you're using pj64's rsp plugin, check to see what the settings are in the rsp when you hear audio in a basic audio plugin. If a setting is not consistently the same, then it is a setting problem, otherwise, there is a genuine bug.

iq_132

Banned
For some reason, I always feel really really dumb after reading what Schibo posts... does anyone else feel that? :)

Saleen351

I had the same problem!

That's funny.

For the longest time I could never figure out why I would never get sound when I used the basic audio plugin.I asked this in another post but no one ever replied to it.

I always used to mess with the settings in the emulators I get.But I never really got a real description of each and every function.So,I also thought there were just CPU or MO-BO related bugs with HLE or RSP enabling.As enabling HLE usually caused the sound to go mute.

Thanks for the info Schibo.No....we are not dumb here.Maybe what we need is a manual for the emulators we used.I mean,we get small readme files etc but no real descriptions of every little function and control in the emulator.And as we all may not be as smart as Schibo...there are many basic computer users who know very little about using the emulators.Except for loading a ROM image.......I think a nice documentation would be nice.The more we all know about the programs we use.the less trouble we have with it and less chances of having problems and having to go ask for help somewhere.