What's new

Hard drives and drive letter assignments

Allnatural

Here's the situation:

I just installed a new (third) hard drive to complement my existing RAID array. Win2000 assigned the letter I: to the drive (three partitions for the RAID array, two CDROMs, and one virtual CDROM use C through H). I'd like to reassign the drive to put it ahead of my CDROMs if possible. I know it doesn't really make a difference, but if it can be done I'd like to know how. This may all be moot as I will soon be reinstalling Windows, and I assume the drive letters will be reassigned then anyway, but that leads to a second question-

FDISK insists on calling the new drive C:, putting it ahead of my RAID array. Will Win2000 give me the option of installing on one drive or another? It's been a while, and I can't remember Windows asking me to choose a partition on the RAID array when I last installed it.

Thank you for your time.:)

Slougi

Administrative Options -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management

I think you can figure the rest out yourself :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
FYI, windows drive letter assignment is screwy.

heres an example of 2 disks with 4 partitions each:

hard disk 0 partition 1 is C
hard disk 0 partition 2 is E
hard disk 0 partition 3 is F
hard disk 0 partition 4 is G
hard disk 1 partition 1 is D
hard disk 1 partition 2 is H
hard disk 1 partition 3 is I
hard disk 1 partition 4 is J

Raid drives are always considered secondary, so say you start with a raid, then add a drive, windows wants it to be C:.

Now you know why I think the unix convention is much better.

(not only that but I much prefer /home/jjd to C:\Documents and Settings\jjd\Desktop)