What's new

running at full speed!!! or ???

gogododo_313

The one and only
question. is it "safe" to run at full speed all the time? i mean by hitting F4 and not limiting the frames per second? i started up windows task manager on windowsxp where it shows how much CPU usage and memory usage you are using and ran some programs to see what they suck up. running music match only used up 1-4% suprisingly, not sure why, but anyways... if playing a game like mario64 or conkers or something i usually run at normal speed limiting the frames, which limits it to 60 of course, which takes up about 30-45% for the most part. BUT for games like ogre battle64 i run at full speed all the time, cause it runs to slow to do all the battles i run at full speed and it goes very fast. i'll get on average like 200fps and higher which makes the battles and game go fast. BUT (yes again a but, lol) it also runs up the CPU usage to 100% constantly! which makes me wonder. is it safe to run your CPU full load constantly all the time while i play this game? i play for hours at times and it just hit me that this puts my CPU at full load for long periods of time. anyways. so what does everyone think?

GogoDodo

AMD athlonxp 1800+
512 2100ddr cas2 1T
geforce 2mx 400
40gig maxtor hd
MSI K7T 266 pro2

Stezo2k

S-2K
well PJ64 likes to take up your CPU usuage no matter what system u are using, it wont make any difference.

Give 1964 a go if u want less CPU usage, but if u wana play games for hours on pj64, just make sure that u dont have much open (ie close antivirus' any windows u have open and if u have a dial up connection make sure u aint connected to the internet, then nothing should interfeer with your system)

Stez

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Stezo2k that's not answering the question, no matter what emu you use running without limiter will ALWAYS mean 100% CPU use, just a faster emu will run (even) faster!

Is runnning at 100% CPU for hours safe? Yes if you're system is properly configured and ventilated... microprocessors don't wear out, but they do produce more heat and use more power when in use. I think running PJ64 with the limiter off would be an excellent stability test for any PC :)

OP
gogododo_313

gogododo_313

The one and only
lol. well that means my computer is pretty stable. i've ran it for hours at times at full speed and havn't had any problems so far. and i run no other programs at all. i make sure of that. i have my computer pretty ventilated, i have 3 fans excluding the power thing. sheesh, i've been up for over a day, my minds not running very well at the moment, lol. anyways. thanks smiff.

]<-------is needing sleep

GogoDodo

OP
gogododo_313

gogododo_313

The one and only
and you say they drain more power when running at full load? hmm... that may explain my 170$ electric bill since i've started using the computer so much....

jollyrancher

Since you have a newer desktop, you should be ok running 100%, unless you have it overclocked. I don't reccomend running a laptop at 100% for many hours... I killed my k6-2 laptop running MAME and Finalburn... melted part of the case and some of the internal components.

Stezo2k

S-2K
whoa jollyrancher that sounds nasty, mabie the fan fell off the processor. Sorry smiff i try my best to help ppl out

Stez

OP
gogododo_313

gogododo_313

The one and only
it's great you at least tried helping stezo. i'm sure if i had wanted to know what you answered i would have been helped greatly. :D