What's new

Lost windows admin password

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnjecx

switched to Mac a while go and never used the windows laptop. Unfortunately, it seems I forgot the admin password for login. I need to pull off data from the device. what is supposed to do to get into the computer? anyone knows how to deal with this?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
if you are on xp ( I doubt you are) login as a normal user and add a new admin account.
once added login to the new account and remove the password for the first accound. Do not remove the account it's self.

Safe mode may be able to trick it also. Have fun.

Robbbert

I'm pretty sure you can only do that kind of thing if you're already an admin on the machine. If you are, the same trick works on all windows versions of the NT lineage (NT, W2K, XP and later).

But if you're not an admin, you don't have the right to add a user. In that case, you need to google for a product that lets you boot off a floppy or a CD into some kind of unix. From there you can reset the admin password to blank (they let you choose a password, but blank is the only one that actually works). When I say blank, I mean no password at all. Once that's done, remove the media, reboot, and you can log in as admin and no password.

For the sake of security, change the password and don't forget it !! Some things can't be accessed without having a proper password, so you'll probably have to do it anyway.

pasmerZ

switched to Mac a while go and never used the windows laptop. Unfortunately, it seems I forgot the admin password for login. I need to pull off data from the device. what is supposed to do to get into the computer? anyone knows how to deal with this?

What OS is it ?

OP
M

mnjecx

if you are on xp ( I doubt you are) login as a normal user and add a new admin account.
once added login to the new account and remove the password for the first accound. Do not remove the account it's self.

Safe mode may be able to trick it also. Have fun.

it is Windows 7:D

P.S I tried two options suggested by Google: Ophcrack and Offline Password Editor without any luck

AnnR

I would remove the harddrive of the one that you forgot then install it to another system or buy one of those usb to sata adapters then copy your files from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.