What's new

Quitting demul causes frontend to crash

sartana

Hello, I have a tough problem.

I use a front-end (Feel) to load all my arcade games, but when I quit Demul and return to the frontend it crashes with this message:

EXECUTION ERROR
The GraphicsDevice must not be null when creating new resources.
Parameter name: graphicsDevice

It's weird because it doesn't happen at the first exit but at the second or third. Then I reload Feel, but now it crashes at every quit until I restart the PC. Maybe a little bug? Any idea?

My specs: Win 7 64bit, Nvidia Gpu, Demul 0.7a last version, resolution is the same in and out the game (640x480).
Thanks for the help!

Artman99

You need to have your front end or your launcher send an Alt-F4 to the emu to exit. Yes, that means no nice exit fade, but that's the only sure-fire way of exiting back to Mala, or Hyperspin, or GameEX, or whatever you're using without issue. While Demul does the best job out there on Naomi and Atomiswave, it doesn't seem to like front ends very much.

OP
S

sartana

I've already mapped the Esc button in the frontend as Alt-F4, so I already kill Demul when quitting. Yeah, Demul is a little naughty with frontends...:agree:

OP
S

sartana

Thank you, Ciro! Good to know! I don't really like Emu Loader, because it doesn't look like a real Cab..but I keep it in mind and hope Feel will be able to do the same soon..

CiroConsentino

EL is not to be used with arcade cabinets, although it has very limited support for it.
- 640x480 resolution (not all screens)
- browse games list with arcade controllers (X-Arcade / Hot-Rod SE, Devastator II, SlikStik)

My frontend is really made to be used in a computer with a keyboard/mouse and high res monitor.

Last edited:
OP
S

sartana

Hello again!

I have tried the new version (18.08.2016) of Demul but my "quitting problem" stays the same. Here is the log from another user that shows the same crash:

EXECUTION ERROR
A previous Draw call threw an unhandled exception. See InnerException for details.
System.InvalidOperationException: A previous Draw call threw an unhandled exception. See InnerException for details. ---> Microsoft.Xna.Framework.NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceException: Unable to create the graphics device. ---> Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.DeviceLostException: Eccezione lanciata da un componente esterno.
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice..ctor(GraphicsAdapter adapter, DeviceType deviceType, IntPtr renderWindowHandle, PresentationParameters presentationParameters)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation newInfo)
--- Fine dell'analisi dello stack dell'eccezione interna ---
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation newInfo)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.ChangeDevice(Boolean forceCreate)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.EnsureDevicePlatform()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.EnsureDevice()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.BeginDraw()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.BeginDraw()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Paint(Object sender, EventArgs e)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameWindow.OnPaint()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameWindow.mainForm_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
in System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
in feel.Feel.Main(Boolean newVersion)
INNER EXCEPTION:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceException: Unable to create the graphics device. ---> Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.DeviceLostException: Eccezione lanciata da un componente esterno.
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice..ctor(GraphicsAdapter adapter, DeviceType deviceType, IntPtr renderWindowHandle, PresentationParameters presentationParameters)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.ChangeDevice(Boolean forceCreate)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.EnsureDevicePlatform()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.EnsureDevice()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.BeginDraw()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.BeginDraw()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Paint(Object sender, EventArgs e)
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameWindow.OnPaint()
in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameWindow.mainForm_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)

Hope it can help developers (who are already doing a great work, thank you!) solve this little bug.

Last edited: