What's new

[Video] Demul v0.7A - Shenmue 2: Comparison 8 vs 64 Layers.

Darkness Knight

A little test:

Demul v0.7A 31.07.15 Youtube:

- gpuDX11ng 1x8 Layers - Very Bad.
- gpuDX11ng 1x16 Layers - Bad.
- gpuDX11ng 1x32 Layers - Good.
- gpuDX11ng 1x64 Layers - Perfect (?).

Salu2 - Darkness Knight.

emusa

Thanks for this! Always wondered what the layers actually do.

I don't see any difference between 32 and 64 layers. Got an example of 32 layers lacking compared to 64?

OP
Darkness Knight

Darkness Knight

Thanks for this! Always wondered what the layers actually do.

I don't see any difference between 32 and 64 layers. Got an example of 32 layers lacking compared to 64?

Hi mate! in Shenmue 1 & 2 is need 64 layers for perfect effects (smoke, transparency's, etc) with 32 I noticed minors (distracting) issues:

Shenmue2 32 Layers (Video - 02:01)

Shenmue2 64 Layers

Sadly, a GTX970 can't manage 2x64Layers, maybe a GTX980Ti (?). Btw, the GTX970 GPU is very bad for Demul, much better a GTX980+.

Salu2 - Darkness Knight.

Last edited:

emusa

Great info, thanks!

Crazy stuff man; a GTX970 bottlenecking because of Demul.. Sure it's not a CPU limitation? Demul is extremely CPU hungry, because of it only using 1 core.

Furthermore: what are your experiences with the "normal" DX11 renderer (which supports higher resolution rendering) in comparison to
1. DX11ng
2. NullDC (r150 with the "Shen Mue fixes" is considered the best).

Got any comparisons between those 3?

Thanks again for sharing your findings! :)

OP
Darkness Knight

Darkness Knight

Hi again! more tests:

gpuDX11 2x64

CPU1 Load: 49%.
GPU Load: 55%.
VRAM: 1605MB.
FPS: 30/60

gpuDX11 3x64

CPU1 Load: 59%.
GPU Load: 89%.
VRAM: 3162MB.
FPS: 19/60

gpuDX11ng (new gen) can emulate some post process effects (framebuffer effects) as transitions:

Rayman2 gpuDX11

Rayman2 gpuDX11ng

Vigilante8 gpuDX11

Vigilante8 gpuDX11ng

nullDC is a outdated and horrible emulator, have a lot of shadows/transparency issues, highly inaccurate.

Demul v0.582 v/s nullDC v1.0.4 r150 screenshots comparison:
http://soloemulacion.blogspot.cl/2014/03/comparativa-nulldc-v104-r150-vs-demul.html

Salu2 - Darkness Knight.

Last edited:

emusa

Thanks for the great post!

I will definitely use Demul now for Dreamcast emulation - NullDC was my preferred emulator, mainly because it's so light and the rendering @higher resolutions as great. But the errors are really clear in your examples and I want the best emulation as possible, though I need steady fremerates @ higher resolution.. So I guess 2x resolution + 32 layers is my best bet.

I'm gonna check out some games as well and will report my finding, compared to Nulldc.

I had already noticed the lower resolution/missing FX in Rayman 2 in Nulldc, and was playing that game in Nulldc.

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver had some nasty errors in Demul.. some stuff that was correctly displayed in Nulldc.. that's weird right? Demul should be able to display that game better than Nulldc?

OP
Darkness Knight

Darkness Knight

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver had some nasty errors in Demul.. some stuff that was correctly displayed in Nulldc.. that's weird right? Demul should be able to display that game better than Nulldc?

Demul is going in the right direction. Btw, what issues?

Salu2 - Darkness Knight.

emusa

- the lifebar in Soul Reaver is glitched in Demul (2x res. 32 layers)
- Also I notice the audio to be "less full" compared to Nulldc; like it misses lots of bass and clarity.

Nulldc has other (tranparency) glitches, but the lifebar is really annoying to be glitches out - especially since it's displayed correctly in Nulldc.

Last edited:
OP
Darkness Knight

Darkness Knight

You're right...

Dreamcast real:

gpuDX11 2x64

gpuDX11ng 1x64

Need a fix! will you report this issue in this forum? (my english is very poor).

Btw, the games WinCE are really cpu bottleneck...

Resident Evil 2:

Tomb Raider 4:
UYsvmgj.png

In this game the sound is bad emulated.

Salu2 - Darkness Knight.

Last edited: