What's new

Demul v0.7a alpha 2015/12/18

MetalliC

Demul developer
justniz
thanks for good words, its pleasure to hear something like this from person who really imagine amount of reverse engineering work was done ;)
about MAME: one of main big goals of project - document how hardware really works (read: write emulation code which works in real thing way), not just write some code which gives the same result as HW.
this includes emulation of tiling, render lists storing in virtual video ram and such, even if this does not needed at all for current rendering, which draws all as single screen pass, not many separate 32x32 tiles like hardware. but afaik there some person working on this too, and will be really interesting to see results.
sorry but that's a very negative approach, Dolphin and PCSX2 are great examples of what to aim for, even as a code novice i've worked with those guys to solve a number of bugs, the communities are positive and buzzing
I do not want to argue, but there was said already - Dolphin and PCSX2 is just a very rare exceptions.
i'd love to put the same energy into Demul, would it really take more than a GitHub page to do it all?
contact someone from team ?
ps the Project64 guys just make me sad, I've tried engaging but certain individuals are almost completely politically orientated, eg 'we don't need buildbots because everyone can easily download a 17GB complier package and just compile...' hmmm
I'm not surprised, public buildbots is making mad all software developers I know.
Does anyone know the difference between the two video plugins, DX11NG and DX11?
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/55645-Demul-DX11-broken?p=456598&viewfull=1#post456598

Last edited:

justniz

justniz
thanks for good words, its pleasure to hear something like this from person who really imagine amount of reverse engineering work was done ;)

If there's anything I can help with please let me know. I have 2 naomi dlx (multiboard) systems and several Naomi 1's and 2s. I have already got some way on reverse engineering the RS232 serial protocol to/from the Initial D 1/2/3 card reader, and also am about to start reverse engineering the protocol to the optional printer on F355 deluxe. I want to write apps to run on raspberry Pi 2s + displays to replace the actual card reader and printer hardware.

Does anyone know the difference between the two video plugins, DX11NG and DX11?

I'd really like to know this too.

Last edited:

qookap

Dreamcast was my favorite and I bought lot of games on it. in a long time I thought DC emulator is over.there is so many problem on it even nullDC r150.
I lost 1 of my Dreamcast machine few weeks ago... that's make me sad. I m trying backup all my GD to Hard Disk for safety. now I only had last DC machine for GD-Roms.

well...I m trying to tell you there is lot of DC fans in the world. some of DC games only released at Japan/Asia. DC never have big markets on NA/EUR.. so if you feel anything about "no one care DC". that's is a wrong feeling..

If Demul or any DC emulator had opensource project like PS2/Wii. It's should be helpful to make a progress. most of opensource don't have any really helpful members but it's still a good idea for emulator.

I'd test about 50+ games on Demul 20150731 version. it's still the same problem compare old 0.58. some games like Shutoko Battle 2(NTSC-J)/Tokyo Extreme Racer 2(NTSC-U) losing control when running simulation.
there is 4-5 games had issue "losing control". I think Demul have big job about 3 major plugins: GPU/SPU/Pad.
losing control but simulation games (just exsample)
Shutoko Battle 2(NTSC-J)/Tokyo Extreme Racer 2(NTSC-U)
F1 World Grand Prix 2(PAL)

the new DX11ng(next generation?) fix few bugs like Le mans 24Hrs, now it's pass the starting screen into loading and play well.
SPU still have problem. most of game losing sound speed with 30/50/60FPS. I mean graphics fine but sounds interrupted.
freeze games
Sega Rally Championship 2

nullDC r150 is fine with those game even wrong graphics(I used "old" purupure pad plugin, this isn't including at r150).
but it's still have old issue need author fix it..(it's never happened, right?)

It's took me days to test those games detail. I hope other fans who had game(specially .gdi) and game saves(help test gaming problem).
I remember PCSX2 had same problem until it's really had a test team. authors claim fix some bugs but it's not. there is no way to tell them.
as hardware we show the platform become half or fully open platform. it's help more user join your product. so... I can't understand the reason of software without open...
times different. "open" really have advantage compare "close".

anyway it's good to see Demul still alive..thx new authors. forgive my poor english :(

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
I'd test about 50+ games on Demul 20150731 version. it's still the same problem compare old 0.58. some games like Shutoko Battle 2(NTSC-J)/Tokyo Extreme Racer 2(NTSC-U) losing control when running simulation.

there is 4-5 games had issue "losing control". I think Demul have big job about 3 major plugins: GPU/SPU/Pad.
losing control but simulation games (just exsample)
Shutoko Battle 2(NTSC-J)/Tokyo Extreme Racer 2(NTSC-U)
F1 World Grand Prix 2(PAL)
advice number one - DO NOT change default settings if you do not know what exactly they do.
advice number two - before reporting/complaining about issue make sure it happens with default settings after clear installation.
there will be no any "losing control" if you follow above advices.
remove any "extended controller" buttons assignments you did (ie Analog2, Digital2 etc), and mentioned games will works fine.

note: the same happens on real Dreamcast as well, there quite number of games is not compatible with game controllers, which have some more buttons/analogs than regular DC gamepad.
SPU still have problem. most of game losing sound speed with 30/50/60FPS. I mean graphics fine but sounds interrupted.
this is not "problem", this is how this and almost any other emulator of anything works.
if you cant get constant 100% emulation speed - you'll get "sounds interrupted" or stretched, or glitched in some other way.

Disorarara

What helps more in Sega Hikaru emulation? CPU or GPU? Because I am right now getting around 40-50 on this chip (7850k) and I'd like to know which part would get it to be full 60, a GPU or a better CPU

Also, has there been any progress in emulating Rolling Extreme? In one of the beta videos I saw it was an option at one point. Thanks

qookap

note: the same happens on real Dreamcast as well, there quite number of games is not compatible with game controllers, which have some more buttons/analogs than regular DC gamepad.

thx help I was playing DC with regulator pad.. I bought over 10 color pads. lol

What helps more in Sega Hikaru emulation? CPU or GPU? Because I am right now getting around 40-50 on this chip (7850k) and I'd like to know which part would get it to be full 60, a GPU or a better CPU

Also, has there been any progress in emulating Rolling Extreme? In one of the beta videos I saw it was an option at one point. Thanks

you need optimization code.
otherwise you don't have independ graphics, emulator will drop speed with that situation.(you share DRAM bandwidth like Laptop)

- - - Updated - - -
-------------------------
DC have 600 games. Remove region released game should be 250-350 total games. I've test about 100 different games on this version with Intel-NV & AMD-ATi PC.
all games on Demul never fill up my CPU & GPU used rate. It's always on 1x%-30%(CPU&GPU). GPU never goes 50% at any FPS. I use dx11ng with 1280x720 16:9 Vsync.

there is some old game should be 60FPS like 連邦 vs. ジオン DX. it's drop to 54-60 with CDI format. 60FPS with GDI format.
plugin is gdrimg. I use ISO tool open the disk... it's no problem.. that's shouldn't be happened.

here is my best speed setting:
Video plugin : DX11ng, 1280x720, Vsync
Audio plugin : 2048 buffer(cause AICA(DC audio chip) is 2M buffer). if you need more speed try disable DSP.
Disk Plugin : gdrimg (you don't have other choice..), get GDI image if games less than full speed, full speed depend every games is 30/50/60.

Pad setting don't set analog 2(losing control on few games)

some DC early games don't support "VGA Box". you need change to TV.

Last edited:

sagaopc

I can't use Batch commands to open demul now... Works fine with 057, but it useless in 0.7

Anyone Know about it?

MetalliC

Demul developer
I'm sorry, but my crystal ball is out of service and mental power isn't enough to read your mind on such distance :D, so can please be more specific about what exactly "Batch commands" you use ?

for example "demul.exe -run=naomi -rom=vf4" works fine here...

sagaopc

I'm sorry, but my crystal ball is out of service and mental power isn't enough to read your mind on such distance :D, so can please be more specific about what exactly "Batch commands" you use ?

for example "demul.exe -run=naomi -rom=vf4" works fine here...

This code doesn't work to me and in the launchbox community, people only can use this commands to 0.57

EDIT: the problem is only with Atomiswave

Ex:

Run, "D:\Atomiswave\Emuladores\Atomiswave\demul.exe" -run=naomi -rom=doa2

ESC::
Process, Close, demul.exe
ExitAPP
return
return

Works Fine

Run, "D:\Atomiswave\Emuladores\Atomiswave\demul.exe" -run=atomiswave -rom=dolphin

ESC::
Process, Close, demul.exe
ExitAPP
return
return

Doesn't Work (only in demul 0.7, Demul 0.57 works fine)

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
but this command line works for everyone I know, so I repeat - can you be more specific and finally show yours "Batch commands" file contents or command line you are trying to run ?

PS: if you expecting this to work - in the case of arcade games you must have ROM path(s) to arcade romset(s) configured. and for the case, you cant run any arcade dump file from command line like 'demul.exe -run=Naomi -rom=d:\blabla\roms\my_favorite_rom.zip', its not designed to work this way, you must have correct romset as per emulator .dat file, and set after '-rom=' short name of some game, not path to some file.

Last edited:

sagaopc

but this command line works for everyone I know, so I repeat - can you be more specific and finally show yours "Batch commands" file contents or command line you are trying to run ?

PS: if you expecting this to work - in the case of arcade games you must have ROM path(s) to arcade romset(s) configured. and for the case, you cant run any arcade dump file from command line like 'demul.exe -run=Naomi -rom=d:\blabla\roms\my_favorite_rom.zip', its not designed to work this way, you must have correct romset as per emulator .dat file, and set after '-rom=' short name of some game, not path to some file.

I found the problem... now the command to launch Atomiswave is -run=awave, before is -run=atomiswave

Thanks for the help

AnX

Joined up to thank the devs for their great work on this emulator. I love my rail shooters and it's great playing them when there are no PC ports available.

Any chance of dual mouse support for two player HOTD2 etc??

MetalliC

Demul developer
this requires input handling rewrite and adding RawInput API usage (which I'm not familiar with)
so this is planned for a long time, but I cant say if/then this happens.

PS: next (I think soon) emulator update will be all about NAOMI 2 emulation, mostly rewritten from scratch and now looking *really* like a real hardware, not "close enough to play teh games"

here is small teasers

Last edited:

AnX

That looks amazing!
Looking forward to the release.

I'd offer to help out but i can hardly write a basic batch file :(

Thanks again for all the hard work.

emusa

Great stuff Metallic - can't wait! :)

What's your next "Demul goal" gonna be, after doing so much work on Naomi2?

Maxi

Thanks for AMD !!! Keep going)) As I can see, the only problems still remains are : decent speed (sound and video have lags sometimes on top configuration) and missing resolution scaler for the new video plugin.

coffeelover239

Well, there is also the card reader emulation, that's only been partially emulated. I imagine that's gonna take longer to do, but I really do like what has been done so far.

MetalliC

Demul developer
Well, there is also the card reader emulation, that's only been partially emulated. I imagine that's gonna take longer to do, but I really do like what has been done so far.
having communication logs from real card reader - it is about half of a hour job and it will be done.
without logs from real hardware - its a very very boring as well as long task. im not stupid to waste my time on this.

so, as iirc was said here already, and more than once:
- you want InitialD 1-3 card readers emulated in Demul ? -> find someone who sniff data from real thing during its work for me.

otherwise it will not be emulated here. probably never. because as I said - I will not waste ALOT of my time on stupid and boring things.