What's new

Getting Majora's Mask to true 16:9

Will47

-Using version 2.1

I'm able to play Zelda Ocarina in true 16:9 with Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.57 video plugin, so why can't i with Zelda M.M? It gives me letterboxes.

What way can i force the game to go 16:9 without stretching the video?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
AFAIK, not all games work with the 16:9 aspect ratio no matter what you do. After all, the N64 was strictly limited to 4:3.

Truth Unknown

The majority of Televisions and Monitors back then were all 4:3, and there was no standard for communicating between device and display the screen format. Yeah there was a few high-end sets that used a wide format, but mostly they catered for letter-boxed movies by cropping the video. So mostly to avoid confusion of settings and distorted picture, most games did not offer any support for a widescreen display. Surprisingly though, 007 Goldeneye (a launch title) [Edit: it's about a year after launch] had a variety of screen settings, full-screen, letter-boxed wide, letter-boxed cinema and lastly an actual 16:9 setting. This doesn't mean the Nintendo 64 had native support, Goldeneye did this software-side, as well as the other games that opted to have an option.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Enable "Override aspect" and set "Aspect display" to "Stretch". Make sure Full Screen Resolution is your native resolution. Also be aware that Majora's Mask displays letterboxes when in cutscenes and Z-Targeting.

Games that natively support 16:9 are anamorphic, that is, they squeeze a 16:9 image in a 4:3 resolution (or weirder resolutions like 640x240), which is later stretched by the TV. Same principle as CinemaScope.

And GoldenEye was not a launch title.

Truth Unknown

Oops, yeah you're right, just around a year after the Nintendo 64, should have checked it before. It might be the earliest game to support it to my knowledge though.

OP
W

Will47

Enable "Override aspect" and set "Aspect display" to "Stretch". Make sure Full Screen Resolution is your native resolution. Also be aware that Majora's Mask displays letterboxes when in cutscenes and Z-Targeting.

Worked!! I would've thought it would simply stretch.

Thank you.

Last edited: