What's new

Project 64 Autosave

Upchucker

Hey guys,
I've been looking around the forums for a way of autosaving games in cycling save state slots, and wasn't able to find much. So I wrote a little piece of software to do this for us! If you run it in the background while playing any game on project64, it will select a new save slot and autosave every so often (2 mins by default but you can set the frequency). I strongly suggest reading the readme file before running the add-on. Right now I'm hosting the .zip on my Google Drive.

The link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4ZaepfbcgaLMW44QzhBRERmTXc&usp=drive_web

EDIT:
If you guys like it, hate it, or have suggstions for improvement, I'd love your feedback! Send me an email or private message - I'd love to keep improving this add-on, or start creating some new add-ons, if I know there is any community interest

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Remember you shouldn't rely exclusively on save states. You should save in-game too, or risk losing all your progress by pressing the wrong key (I've seen that countless times).

OP
U

Upchucker

Remember you shouldn't rely exclusively on save states. You should save in-game too, or risk losing all your progress by pressing the wrong key (I've seen that countless times).

True, I agree! This isn't a perfect solution, but it can be helpful against unexpected crashes. On the bright side, the fact that this program cycles through your save states means that even if you press a wrong button and overwrite a save state, you will still have a backup save state from only a minute earlier, another backup from two minutes earlier, and so on!

I built this mostly because Banjo-Tooie randomly crashes for me frequently, and using the in game save very often is a pain, because there is only a Save & Quit button, so I can't save the normal way when in the middle of something.

F

Fanatic 64

Yeah. Using both save states (and using multiple slots) and saving in-game is the safest way to protect your progress.

(There's also games that tend to corrupt native saves, like WWF No Mercy.)