What's new

General Audio Plugin Questions

Will47

The in-game audio was never really a concern to me, I've always kept it at the default Jabo. Until recently, I really noticed how low the quality was when wearing headphones and run through my soundsystem. (N64 audio is what it is)

Disregarding the settings offered and compatibility in sound plugins, is there a difference in actual sound quality between them when running roms? I also have no clue what "High Level Audio" means. My guess is that it improves sound quality? If so, which plug-ins support it?

P.S
Sorry I know I've been posting a lot, but thank you to all those who've helped me so far. :tup:

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Not really no, at least not in my experience. Some games do work better with a specific sound plugin, though.

High Level Audio means that the sound is emulated in HLE instead of the usual LLE (Low Level Emulation). This has nothing to do with sound quality. HLE is is more accurate when compared to the original hardware but far slower, while LLE is faster but less accurate (accuracy in this case does not always translate to "sounds worse")

F

Fanatic 64

HLE is is more accurate when compared to the original hardware but far slower, while LLE is faster but less accurate (accuracy in this case does not always translate to "sounds worse")
I think you got that inverted.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Indeed I did. :/

Yeah, LLE is accurate, but slow. HLE is less accurate, but faster.

Allnatural

To your knowledge, Is there anything that can improve quality?

What do you mean by "low quality" in your original post? Is the sound accurate compared to that produced by a genuine N64 console? If so, then the plugin is doing its job. I've always found Jabo's plugin to be fairly accurate (based on my memory at least).

Beyond that, the resulting quality can only be as good as your equipment (sound card, speakers/headphones, etc).

OP
W

Will47

What do you mean by "low quality" in your original post?

The plugins give an accurate emulation of the N64's sound, but that's the problem. I'm just not looking for "accuracy", I want improved sound.

Its like I'm hooking up an original N64 to a modern home theater sound system. It just get amplified louder than the sound from a TV with no sound system. That's like watching something on TV in 4:3 ratio and 'stretching' it to fill the screen!

For example: When playing Super Smash, the Stereo channels seem like they're switched. When I'm fighting on the left side of the screen, i hear my actions on the right side of my speakers, soundbar, and tv. (tested all three)

It can't be my sound card because I've tested this on two friends' gaming rigs as well.

What I ultimately want is either a rom hack, a different plugin, or some sort of solution to bring the audio to the next level. -I see all these Video Plugins that offer so many options and improvements, and I don't understand why Audio Plugins aren't the same way.