What's new

Different CD Image Format

Orotawuk

Sometimes CD games are found in the format of a single ISO file or a set of ISO + CUE files. But isn't that ISO file can't support multi tracks? Does it mean that there is data loss or just is the case of some games? Overall speaking, is there a best image format for CD games?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yes, ISO image files only contain one track. If a CUE file is present it may describe additional tracks (such as CD audio). There is no "best" format per se. ISO image files are perfectly fine for games that only have a single data track, most games only have that one track to begin with. Besides, older games that make use of Redbook audio get get dumped as ISO (data) and several MP3 files (Redbook audio) + CUE file that describes the tracks and their order when burned.

Same goes with IMG files.

If you want multi-track image files, you should probably use NRG and CCD files.

Last edited:
OP
O

Orotawuk

I have some Saturn CD which I've burnt into MDX file. How can I tell whether they consist of single or multi track for me to choose suitable image format? And I found someone made image of the same game into format like iso+iso+wav+cue. Will my format gives same performance as theirs if run on an emulator? Same for cases like iso+cue compared to iso+wav+cue?
Sorry for so many questions but I can hardly find ideal answers on the internet

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If there are WAV files involved, you should probably use the one with the CUE file, since the CUE diescribes how to handle the Redbook audio that's now in WAV format. Hell, just try your own MDX file and see if the background music plays as its supposed to. Well, sice MDX image files are native to Daemon Tools, it should contain all the necessary data, including the Redbook audio.