What's new

Dolphin doesn't recognize nunchuck

Glitcher

I just fired up my new PC and the first Wii game I wanted to try playing on it is Super Mario Galaxy. After connecting the Wiimote via Bluetooth and running the game, I get a message on the title screen saying "Connect [nunchuck] to Player 1's [Wiimote]". How come Dolphin recognizes the Wiimote but not the attached nunchuck? They're both brand new.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Wow, this is VERY strange. The Wiimote is acting more and more erratically. I tried to use it with Skyward Sword, except that I can't even reach the title screen. I get a message saying "Communication has been severed" or some junk. When I try to use it again in Super Mario Galaxy, the cursor doesn't even show up when I press the home button. Only the Wiimote buttons still work. I tried changing the batteries, but I get the same problem. I get some bizarre control gaffes in Tatsunoko VS. Capcom, like the controls won't respond for a few second unless I move the Wiimote two inches away from the dongle, but Dolphin still detects it just fine. And now, the Wiimote WON'T EVEN TURN OFF! When I press and hold the power button, the P1 light stays on. What the hell is going on?

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Another update. I tried changing the batteries on my IR sensor bar and now the cursor shows up again on screen. Strange, I charged them for hours and they lasted less than a day. Still, the only game that seems to work fine on Dolphin is Skyward Sword. When I try to play Super Mario Galaxy or Resident Evil 4, the first thing they ask is for me to attach the nunchuck.

Could this be a result of the Wiimote I'm using? I bought this one online: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121114467407?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It looks official, but I just noticed that "Motion 2 in 1" in branded at the base instead of "Wii - Wii MotionPlus INSIDE". Is this a third-party Wiimote? I can't really tell the difference.

F

Fanatic 64

Looks counterfeit (and bad quality) to me. You should purchase a genuine Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuck, which come in a Nintendo-branded box with Nintendo's Seal of Quality. If possibly, avoid ordering them online from anywhere other than Nintendo itself. Or go a store like Walmart and buy it from the shelve (again, verify it comes in a Nintendo-branded box with Nintendo's Seal of Quality).

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

You can judge the quality just by looking at it? Well, the seller confirmed that it's a third-party Wiimote, so I've requested a refund. Thanks for the second opinion. I'll be more mindful to purchase the real thing and hope that it works better.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I received an official Wiimote Plus today and got it to work with all games! The bad news is that it only worked for a few hours.

While testing the Wiimote with Super Mario Galaxy, I noticed the battery icon was flashing. So I turned off the Wiimote and charged the batteries for six hours. Later, when I tried to use it again, the games won't detect the Wiimote. I get a "Communications with the Wii Remote have been interuppted" message and the Dolphin status bar is stuck on "Connecting..." to show the connection status. I tried starting over from step one: I re-added the Wiimote as a Bluetooth device and paired it up in Dolphin's Wiimote settings. The Player 1 light is on and it vibrates when I click "Refresh", but the games still don't detect it. I tried restarting, but same thing.

I don't get it. How can Dolphin detect my Wiimote but not the games themselves? I didn't change any settings.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

I could really use some help here, people. I tried pressing Alt+F5 a few times, but for some reason Wii games don't recognize the Wiimote. I can't even get it to work at all in DOlphin 4.0 because the Wiimote settings are different. There's no "Pair Up" button and it doesn't show how many Wiimotes are connected. Why can't games detect the Wiimote in Dolphin 3.5?

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Alright! I figured out what the problem is. Apparently I had to sync the Wiimote by pressing the red button underneath the battery cover, not the 1 and 2 buttons like every tutorial says. Shows what they know, eh? Now my Wiimote connects just fine. :)