What's new

GLideN64 blog

F

Fanatic 64

Wouldn't be surprised if Gonetz pulled a Martin Korth and disappeared without saying anything. That is unfortunately too common in the scene.

Or, he may just be busy and come back soon. Only time will tell.

V1del

Jesus christ its three months and people are already starting the conspiracies. Say that after a year, three months could mean anything, maybe he's busy otherwise or hasn't made any improvements worth blogging about or he simply wants to take a break.

death--droid

Just saying :p I would love to get my hands on this plugin and see if I can convert it to a DirectX one :O, the things Gonetz is doing with his new one is great

death--droid

Never said Direct X is better, just something I personally prefer to program with and use. Would be an interesting project for myself.

F

Fanatic 64

Well, the thing is that since OpenGL is multiplatform and DirectX only works on Microsoft Windows, if there isn't any benefit from porting to DirectX, then it would seem like a waste. Unless you then plan on further improving the plugin.

F

Fanatic 64

Good or bad news depending on how you look at it: Gonetz is out of time and money, and he can't keep up with development of GLideN64. He also refuses to release binaries or source code until the plugin is complete. He plans to make a Kickstarter for the plugin, if he can raise $10,000 USD on a short amount of time, the plugin may be released at the end of 2014/early 2015. If the funding goal is not met (or if the campaign can't be started), the plugin will never be released. Donors would get beta access to the plugin.

(I would kiss this project goodbye. How about making a DirectX 11 plugin based on Direct64, death--droid?)

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
Why the pessimism? He has plenty of time, and this an opportunity for us to get him to write a modern HLE graphics plugin, for us. This WILL be his day job until it's completed. And with someone behind it like Gonetz, who is already an expert in N64 graphics emulation, it will be the best plugin to use and build off of.

death--droid

Thats a real shame to hear :\ even worse is I dont think the Nintendo 64 emulation scene is alive enough to warrant people to donate that shear amount of money :\

(I would kiss this project goodbye. How about making a DirectX 11 plugin based on Direct64, death--droid?)
Sadly Direct64 code was never released, current plan for my work is to refactor Rice Videos code enough so its uber clean than to start focussing on rewriting it into a directx11 + compatible plugin.

AIO

I have my doubts that he will get 10,000 usd. Then again, some people are really generous online, so who knows. Hopefully he will manage somehow.
He has plenty of time, and this an opportunity for us to get him to write a modern HLE graphics plugin, for us.
He actually does not have plenty of time, because that's why he's asking for money in the first place. The only way he can get free time is if people donate enough money for him to not have to worry about that.

F

Fanatic 64

If the funding goal is meet, he will release the source. If it's not meet, you'll get your money back.

F

Fanatic 64

So, the possibility of making crowd funding campaign is now small, and thus the chances of releasing the plugin are even slimmer. Let's hope it works out, or that otherwise death--droid can clean the GeForce 2 code from Rice Video.

olivieryuyu

:)

The crowdfunding had been launched, see the blog: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gliden64-graphics-plugin.

This is a very nice project in my opinion and I would be glad to see it successful.The screenshots and videos are amazing.

It is a bit of a sum but let's say it will allow Gonetz to have FULL time devoted on the ultimate HLE plugin for N64.

I hope people will back this project just to support the idea of having a nice N64 plugin, on many platforms and with full source available.