What's new

GLideN64 blog

Salvy

Well, I get it now. Sounds promising, keep up the great work!

GLFW is not very fit for working with "complex" 3D, as far as I've heard.

Just my $0.02 USD.

http://www.glfw.org/faq.html#12__what_is_glfw_not

glfw doesn't have anything to do with the actual rendering, is just used for creating the "OGL window", which can be a pain to do manually for cross-platform projects.
Another alternative is just to use SDL, but it's very bloated..

Nintendo Maniac

Please pay no attention to my post here, I'm just posting to update my subscription email notifications so that the subject line will say "Reply to thread" and therefore will follow my Gmail filters and be labeled & sorted correctly.

F

Fanatic 64

Your implementation of hardware per-pixel shading is pretty nice. I hope you keep it, even if it isn't a dramatic improvement (although I bet it would look pretty nice in Perfect Dark).

mrmudlord

What would be nice is screen space ambient occlusion. I wanted to implement it in the glide wrapper, but found it doesn't sample the depth buffer to a texture, which is then processed in a shader.

Maybe Gonetz could extend his plugin to allow for such post process shaders. This would allow for HDR lighting, too.

F

Fanatic 64

Why there isn't a "Like" button in EmuTalk? That sounds like a really good idea. IMO, with the advent of LLE plugins and cycle-accurate emulators, HLE plugins should try to show what they can bring to the table, and why they still matter. Because accept it, the idea of emulating games without obvious/undesirable glitches AND in modern rendering glory sounds very awesome. Yeah, I went kinda philosophical here, but you get the point.

Also something that grabbed my attention: In your blog you said this plugin is based on an existing OpenGL plugin, and that Glide64 wasn't suitable for your goals. Am I correct in assuming, based on your plugin's name and what you have said, that this plugin is based on glN64 0.4.1? If not, in which plugin is yours based on?

OP
Gonetz

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
What would be nice is screen space ambient occlusion. I wanted to implement it in the glide wrapper, but found it doesn't sample the depth buffer to a texture, which is then processed in a shader.

Maybe Gonetz could extend his plugin to allow for such post process shaders. This would allow for HDR lighting, too.
Could you give me a link to read about it?

In your blog you said this plugin is based on an existing OpenGL plugin, and that Glide64 wasn't suitable for your goals. Am I correct in assuming, based on your plugin's name and what you have said, that this plugin is based on glN64 0.4.1? If not, in which plugin is yours based on?
Yes, glN64. It has well designed and relatively easy to modify architecture and clean code, not overloaded with hacks. Thanks, Orkin, for making it open source :)

F

Fanatic 64

Yes, glN64. It has well designed and relatively easy to modify architecture and clean code, not overloaded with hacks. Thanks, Orkin, for making it open source :)
Well, that sounds great! I've always though glN64 could be really awesome with some work. It even gets the filter detection right!
(See screenshot below, for some reason Jabo's black outline drives me overly mad.)

Attachments

• glN64vsJaboD3D.png
    glN64vsJaboD3D.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 601

DETOMINE

Just a post to remind the people who follow this thread to go to Gonetz's blog. There is a lot of news there.

Last edited:

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
Gonetz, this is the most interesting blog I've read in a along time. I'm learning alot, and I'm very excited for what you can pull off with HLE and modern technology. Most of us felt that a Glide64 rewrite for a modern API would be a major milestone for the N64 emulation community as a whole. Even though you are using glN64 as a base, you are very much meeting this milestone, and then some. Thank you!

DETOMINE

Mario Tennis 64 is one of my favourite N64's games. For now I can only play it with Jabo's plugins (somewhat playable, lot of missing effects) or Dolphin (beautiful but slow), since my N64 died a long time ago (RIP).
I promise that if I can play it with all effect and full speed I will finish my 100% save of it :) (and share it obviously).

And I agree, the explications given by Gonetz are really interesting.

Sogun

Hi Gonetz. I hope you still read this topic, hehe.

Thanks for Glide64, I always recommend that plugin to use with N64 emulators. That's why I'm expecting very good things for this one.

There are a few features that I would like you to consider adding to the new plugin. I know you want to focus on replicating special graphic effects, so don't bother on my suggestions if you don't want to work on them.

-Being able to export geometry, textures and vertex shading from the game game (the current scene on screen). There's already an old Nemu Graphic plugin that rips geometry and textures from current frame the a VRML file. I use that in order to create custom maps for GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, but since it's an old plugin there are a lot of games that are partially supported or not supported at all. Since your plugin will be more accurate than Nemu, it would be cool to have this feature. The ideal file to export would be FBX since it has vertex shading support, but OBJ or even VRML are fine too even if they lack vertex shading.

-Wireframe rendering support. This will help to see how much stuff is loaded at once on screen. Some games as GoldenEye split the levels in small portions and load them as soon as you are almost able to see them, so in order to improve polygon count in my levels it would be nice to check when and how many of these portions are loaded.

-Force true 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with Glide64, but when I force 16:9 all I get is a streched image and not a true 16:9. Only games that already has a 16:9 feature work fine.

-Being able to choose the amount of antialising and anisotropic filters, for both window display and full screen. This isn't very important actually, but perhaps it will help people with slow computers.

Let me know if you find some of these features interesting. Thank you very much.

EDIT: Just a crazy afterthought. Would it be possible to implement a real time tri counter just as there's a framerate display? And then mix both to have an estimated polygon performance rate (although the real hardware lags more than emulators).

Last edited: