What's new

Project64 Updated RDB by Fanatic 64

F

Fanatic 64

Yup, it's here :teehee:

I've worked on this for a little while now. It contains A LOT of fixes (compared to the 1.6.016 official RDB) and other stuff.

It's for 1.6 (and possibly some 1.7 betas), I'll later work on a 2.0 one.

Note: Names differ a bit from GoodN64, this is mostly due to it's current license (which says no use in other databases) and the fact that I just don't like it's system (really, Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time just doesn't make sense).

Try it, and give me feedback for it. If you find anything from a typo to a game fix please let me know.

Remember to read the "Read me please!" file.

DOWNLOAD:

Attachments

• Project64.zip
    37.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
The archive gives me errors...

Also, is this RDB better than the other one here by Nekokabu?

Thanks in advance.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
GoodN64 can shove their license

they cannot dictate how you apply words.

(really, Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time just doesn't make sense).

It does to anyone who's been to a library, in say, the last 15 years.

OP
F

Fanatic 64

Except I'm not organizing books, I'm changing the display name.

And what do you mean by "The archive gives me errors"? What errors?

OP
F

Fanatic 64

You'll also find save files in 1.6 relies on goodnames........
You mean instant saves? And are you insinuating that I should never change any names in the RDB? If so, you should probably tell that to Smiff and Nekokabu...

OP
F

Fanatic 64

Is there a list of the changes that have made to the RDB?
Never wrote them down. And even then, this RDB is the mix of many other RDBs, so from which one should I base the changelog? 1.6.016 Official?

OP
F

Fanatic 64

Alright, new release.

-Fixed what Nekokabu pointed out.
 • The first one was probably a leftover from another RDB.
 • The second one was me forgetting to actually paste a CRC.
 • The third one was a silly mistake I don't want to talk about.

Download from attachment in the first post.

DETOMINE

etking

Goldeneye (U) seems to run extremely slow in PJ64 1.7.0.50 using your rdb with both Glide64 and Jabo 1.6.1 / 1.7. But it works fine with rdb 2.13 from Henryxs87.

And is there a reason why default memory size should be 4MB? I prefer expansion pack support to be always enabled, as it may be missing in some rdb settings.

Maybe it also would be better to not assume anything and to provide every setting for every game, including CPU Type, Self-Modifying Code Method, RDRAM Size and Advanced Block Linking.

Perfect Dark 1.1 (U) seems to have better and much smoother settings (Counter Factor=2) in rdb 2.13 from Henryxs87 as well, when played with Glide64 (to have sky emulation). PD runs much better with counter factor =1 and Jabo though, but there currently seems to be no way to play PD smoothly with sky emulation anyway.

Last edited:

Black Zero

Thank you Mr. Fanatic 64 I'm gonna try your work pretty soon, have been using the official 1.6.016 RDB for quite some time now.
Should be interesting to see if something substantial have been changed with the games I use on a regular basis.

OP
F

Fanatic 64

Goldeneye (U) seems to run extremely slow in PJ64 1.7.0.50 using your rdb with both Glide64 and Jabo 1.6.1 / 1.7. But it works fine with rdb 2.13 from Henryxs87.

And is there a reason why default memory size should be 4MB? I prefer expansion pack support to be always enabled, as it may be missing in some rdb settings.

Maybe it also would be better to not assume anything and to provide every setting for every game, including CPU Type, Self-Modifying Code Method, RDRAM Size and Advanced Block Linking.

Perfect Dark 1.1 (U) seems to have better and much smoother settings (Counter Factor=2) in rdb 2.13 from Henryxs87 as well, when played with Glide64 (to have sky emulation). PD runs much better with counter factor =1 and Jabo though, but there currently seems to be no way to play PD smoothly with sky emulation anyway.
Sorry for the late reply.

First, I have to ask one thing, why are you still using 1.7.0.50? 2.0 is already out, or if you wish it, you can use 1.6. This RDB is made specifically for 1.6, so it won't work properly with other versions.

RDRAM should not matter really, trough I've tried to make sure all games with Expansion Pak support have it enabled. You can default to 8 MB if you wish (trough 1.7/2.0 does not include the option to set core defaults...).

And I can run Perfect Dark smoothly with Counter Factor=1 and Glide64, maybe your CPU is not fast enough. Also, I remember Jabo Direct3D 1.7 being able to show the sky, trough I'm not entirely sure.

etking

I'm still using 1.7.0.50 because it works with all my games and I did not find the time to set up and test 2.0 final yet. 1.7.0.50 was running much better than late beta versions of 2.0 and of course it has better 3rd party rdb support from Spain. But I plan to migrate to 2.0 or 2.1 eventually.

And I also do not use 1.6.1 because the 1.7 / 2.0 UI is much more functional, I cannot live without game specific plugin settings anymore.

My CPU is a mobile Corei7-2670QM and Counter Factor=1 definitely does not work for me with Glide and 1080p. Counter Factor=1 runs OK at the beginning but if you turn into the direction where most level geometry is placed, audio will start to crackle and framerates will go down, even if the geometry is behind walls (Glide only, also in narrow corridors at the beginning of Level 1). Outdoor levels like Carrington Villa and Crash site are completely unplayable with Counter Factor=1.

Counter Factor=2 is much faster in frame-rate, has no audio crackling but controls are a bit jerky compared to Counter Factor=1. Maybe the performance issues in Glide with Counter Factor=1 can be fixed by the PJ64 devs, until then Counter Factor=2 is clearly the better setting for GE and PD. (applies to Glide only, Jabo D3D8 works perfectly fine with Counter Factor=1).

Glide is supposed to be the main video plugin of PJ64 in future, so maybe the performance issues scan be fixed.

Last edited: