What's new

Project64 2.0 is now available and open source!

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Hmm, some games that run fine with older versions seem to have stuttering frame rate now. First game i tested, Super Mario 64, was perfect before (smooth frame rate, no sound pop) but now it lags. I tried changing vi and ai but it still lags, although i have no idea what numbers should i put and what does what. I tried lots of different values and i can only make it go fast forward sometimes. The only thing that fixes lag is to uncheck the audio sync/timing options but then the sound pops. So i have to choose between smooth video or smooth sound. Same thing with other games like Waverace and Starfox. They all run at about 95% of normal speed which causes stuttering.

I remember having this problem with some other emulators but never with PJ64... Is this fixable somehow?

EDIT: It seems that disabling "fixed audio timing" without disabling audio sync fixes the problem with those games. I can have smooth fps and sound in Mario 64, waverace, Zelda, etc. I guess the option shouldn't be on by default for these games? ...I have to do more tests.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Great!

I created RDB that changed the rom name & added some roms.

:p

ohai Neko!

both zilmar's and your rdbs are missing info for
International Superstar Soccer '98 (I.S.S.98)
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness (MS. PAC-MAN MM)
Battlezone - Rise of the Black Dogs (BATTLEZONE)
Knockout Kings 2000 (Knockout Kings 2000)
Rat Attack (RAT ATTACK)

Kirby64 plugin notes can be removed and marked as Compatible
Banjo Tooie and Kazooie plugin notes should be removable.... Jabo's 1.7 plugin supports the Jiggies just fine without Framebuffer to Rdram)
Body Harvest can be marked as Broken:Core issues.
Gauntlet Legends needs ABL(Advanced Block Linking) disabled

Last edited:

death--droid

EDIT: It seems that disabling "fixed audio timing" without disabling audio sync fixes the problem with those games. I can have smooth fps and sound in Mario 64, waverace, Zelda, etc. I guess the option shouldn't be on by default for these games? ...I have to do more tests.
Fixed audio timing is a fix to a problem in the original PJ64 where results could be completely erratic since audio interrupts were not linked to length of time. So it would never give the exact same results every time you played (terrible for netplay). Disabling both fixed audio timing and sync to audio would restore around about the pj64 1.6 behavior -- Reworded version of zilmars explanation.

Im not actually experiencing any of these slowdowns people are talking about, chances are theres something wrong with your settings cause the slowdowns.

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Im not actually experiencing any of these slowdowns people are talking about, chances are theres something wrong with your settings cause the slowdowns.
Its not as noticeable as usual slowdowns. I must choose another word besides slowdown maybe. Its more like "erratic motion". Again, its not that terrible but for some people it may be annoying.

In the advanced settings check "frame rate display" and choose "percent of speed". Load Super Mario 64. If both "fixed audio timing" and "sync using audio" are checked (that was the default setting) you will see that the percentage isn't stable 100% but it hovers at 94-97% with some jumps to 100-103% (CPU usage is still low). If you can see this then your game doesn't run smooth. If you want to notice the difference, uncheck "fixed audio timing" and try again. You will see that percentage is stable 100% and the game runs a bit smoother now, even though it seemed fine before. Thankfully these Nintendo games won't cause audio pops with audio timing unchecked. But for plenty of other games you will have to choose between 100% smooth frame rate or pop-less sound.

I guess this is not a major issue, this was always a thing for all N64 emulators (Mupen seems to be a little better in this). I just hoped that it was finally fixed.

Last edited:

Lithium of Time

It is the real project64 2.0 only left the 2.0 plugins, but this don't is a problem, Zilmar make a great work since 1.7 beta, he fixed many bugs.

Thanks Zilmar for realese this version

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
deathdroid

it looks like restartless plugin changes is broken in 2.x

:( if only jabo had the motivation to come back and work on the d3d plugin, theres so many unfixed bugs in 1.7.0.55+ (57 broke JFG wide screen)

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

This version breaks Pilotwings 64, after failing a test and choosing "Retry", see attached image (music keeps playing).

Tried messing with some settings, still the same. Either something is misconfigured or there was a regression in the core.

Attachments

• Pilotwings64.png
    Pilotwings64.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 653

Lithium of Time

This version breaks Pilotwings 64, after failing a test and choosing "Retry", see attached image (music keeps playing).

Tried messing with some settings, still the same. Either something is misconfigured or there was a regression in the core.

Try use interpreter, Pokémon Stadium 2 is crashing here i workaround it using interpreter.

dazey238

Been away for a while - great to see that zilmar decided to go open source with 2.0!

Last edited by a moderator:

death--droid

Thread has been cut back, Ace64 has been suspended for a period of 3 days to give him and everyone else a bit of a cooling off period.
Please do not derail this thread any further than it has been.

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Great!

I created RDB that changed the rom name & added some roms.

:p

*not edit setting yet.

I tried to merge what you had done with the rdb in pj64 2.0 ...

what do you think?

Attachments

• Project64.zip
    41.5 KB · Views: 287

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Does the RDB in version 2 save the VIs and AIs per byte for each game? If yes, is there any chance that there will be a complete RDB with correct (best possible) settings in the near future? Or are the current ones good enough?

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Does the RDB in version 2 save the VIs and AIs per byte for each game? If yes, is there any chance that there will be a complete RDB with correct (best possible) settings in the near future? Or are the current ones good enough?

The rdb above does not change any of the VIs and AIs compared to 2.0 release. Any changes made inside the emulator will update the local cfg file.

As more people test and find better values I am sure the rdb will be updated to have the new values.

Nekokabu

I tried to merge what you had done with the rdb in pj64 2.0 ...

what do you think?

Hi, its so good:).

Those games not added.
[D25C1211-13EEBF67-C:44]
Good Name=Turok 3 - Shadow of Oblivion (U) (Beta)
Internal Name=turok
Status=Compatible
Cheat0=80000303 0001

[9FC385E5-3ECC05C7-C:50]
Good Name=The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask (E) (M4) (Debug Version)
Internal Name=ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK
Status=Uncertain

[847BA4C2-1D3128F8-C:4A]
Good Name=IPL4ROM (J)
Internal Name=IPL4ROM
Status=Only intro/part OK

[CA2A7444-71DAB71C-C:50] //Not Test yet
Good Name=California Speed (E) (M5)
Internal Name=CAL SPEED
Counter Factor=1
Status=Compatible

[40DFEDA0-3AA09CB2-C:50]
Good Name=Dragon Sword (E) (Unreleased Alpha)
Internal Name=DragonStorm
Status=Issues (plugin)
Plugin Note=[video] text missing

[53CCAD28-AEA6EDA2-C:45] //Not Test yet
Good Name=F1 Racing Championship (B)
Internal Name=F1RacingChampionship
Status=Issues (plugin)
Plugin Note=[video] errors:resolution issues

[93A625B9-2D6022E6-C:42]
Good Name=Shadow Man (B)
Internal Name=Shadowman
Status=Compatible

[D21AF769-DE1A0E3D-C:42]
Good Name=South Park (B)
Internal Name=South Park
Status=Compatible

[FD6907F0-83CBC160-C:44]
Good Name=Starcraft 64 (G) (Beta)
Internal Name=STARCRAFT 64
Status=Issues (plugin)

[ECBD95DD-1FAB637D-C:0]
Good Name=Sydney 2000 (E) (Unreleased)
Internal Name=Syd2k GBR
Status=Compatible
Resolution Height=239
Cheat0=80000303 0000

[80A78080-5F9F8833-C:0]
Good Name=Sydney 2000 (U) (Unreleased)
Internal Name=Syd2k USA
Status=Compatible
Resolution Height=239

[6C2C6C49-9BE5CA66-C:45]
Good Name=Taz Express (U) (Unreleased)
Internal Name=Taz Express
Status=Unsupported

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
thanks, added those ones (plus a bit more re-ordering).

I probably should have changed the status on taz express, since it now is playable .. another day

Attachments

• Project64.zip
    41.8 KB · Views: 436