What's new

PJ64 1.6 Source Development Discussion

death--droid

Hmmmmm, need peoples thoughts on this, should we remain with the CPU SYNC function still in place (Its a debugging function only, synchronises both the cores we use to run at the same rate (interpreter, and recompiler) I personally can't see myself using this to debug, and well at the moment its just kind of cluttering up the source code. However, its more up to other developers than me in my opinion.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Its kind of weeved in and out of a whole bunch of files, certain function and certain things are disabled/enabled when its on, so seperating it isnt the easiest option, its rather easy to remove though since nothings dependant on its functionality.
Ill see if there is a way to separate it firstly though

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

Actually fixed up a problem rather then just cleaning code today, the problem was the emulator was only sending to the audio plugin SYSTEM_NTSC rather then sending what the actual system for the ROM really is.
nooooow back to cleaning code D:

DETOMINE

Do you mind if I do a feature request?
I know it's probably far too early, but may you one day add a possibility to configure plugins' settings per game?
We could maybe do a config file (base on the Bighead's list?) or something.

For now I use one install of PJ64 per game and it works without problem, but it's a little complicated when I want to update a plugin or so...

F

Fanatic 64

Do you mind if I do a feature request?
I know it's probably far too early, but may you one day add a possibility to configure plugins' settings per game?
We could maybe do a config file (base on the Bighead's list?) or something.

For now I use one install of PJ64 per game and it works without problem, but it's a little complicated when I want to update a plugin or so...

I don't think that's hard to do. In fact I the PJ64 1.7 changelog mentions per ROM plugin selection as a feature in the 1.7.0.50.23 build.

Also good idea to start a thread for this! (And by the way, I have a copy of the latest revision made at GitHub, which includes the fix for resampling audio, I don't know if it could be useful...)

Last edited:

the_randomizer

Actually fixed up a problem rather then just cleaning code today, the problem was the emulator was only sending to the audio plugin SYSTEM_NTSC rather then sending what the actual system for the ROM really is.
nooooow back to cleaning code D:

I take it changing those lines (or line) in the code will finally fix those pesky Hybrid Heaven and Mystical Ninja 64 audio synchronization errors (as in the crackling and skipping)?

mrmudlord

most people will use MESS for debugging. While it may be unstable, it has the more accurate R4300i and RSP.

If it was me then, I would remove PJ64's debugger.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

I reckon I'll probably go down the path of removing the debugger, so far I've just added DisplayError's manually to check stuff without touching the debugger anyway XD
EDIT: On another note, replacing all the registry crap within project64 with an ini system might clean up some of the config code a fair bit

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

Hmmm yeah, which is slightly annoying :|, and I doubt Jabo would be willing to release his versions with them using .ini :\
On another note... ive decided Zilmar's audio plugin is a tad dodgy, it actually fails to load if you don't call AiCloseDLL twice. :|

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

For anyone that's interested, currently rewriting the way that Project64 handles plugins so it should work better, also fixing up gaps in the audio plugins setup, it looks as if they didn't even bother getting the test function or the About function from the DLL

dazey238

Keep it up death-droid, I reckon you're doing a sterling job just wading through it all! Do you have an ultimate goal here are you just kind of interested in cleaning up the code and fixing a few bugs here and there?

the_randomizer

Halleh-freakin'-lujah! It's high time the audio plugin gets fixed! I can finally play Hybrid Heaven without using the 1964 audio plugin (which kills the framerate).

OP
death--droid

death--droid

@dazey238 thank you :), Ahhh I suppose at the moment its just cleaning up the code and fixing some shortfalls/bugs in the current code.
@the_randomizer, XD my changes will not actually fix any of that sorry, that would require changes to the audio plugin, I'm just making changes to the way Project64 handles these plugins

the_randomizer

Ah, bollocks. I would stick with Mupen64, but since that doesn't support Glide64 Napalm, I can't. Using the Rice Video plugin is a joke. It handles audio just fine, but come on. I guess we're SOL.

Last edited:

dazey238

Ah, bollocks. I would stick with Mupen64, but since that doesn't support Glide64 Napalm, I can't. Using the Rice Video plugin is a joke. It handles audio just fine, but come on. I guess we're SOL.

You've probably already looked at it by the sounds of things, but have you looked at Bigheads page for the perfect Hybrid Heaven config? It mentions using Mupen64 0.5.1 and Glide64 Final, as opposed to Napalm???

OP
death--droid

death--droid

the_randomizer, would you mind telling me exactly is wrong with Hyrbid Heaven with your average audio plugin? (Like no audio or what ever)

the_randomizer

The audio skips every 30 seconds or so, simultaneously pausing the game during that audio skip, this is with the default audio plugin that comes with PJ64. Tried with and without "sync game to audio" and "limit framerate" but to no avail. I should also note that when this skip occurs, the framerate drops from 59.94 to 52-53, and then picks up only to have the cycle repeat.

Here's a .ogg recording I made off of PJ64 1.6, using the default audio plugin, with sync to audio enabled:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x8knx5ck3oyxurk

The skipping occurs every 25-30 seconds. If you open it with Audacity, you can see where the skips occur.

Despite this being a problematic game, Goemon's Great Adventure and Mystical Ninja 64 work fine with the right settings.

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, Mupen64 isn't the best alternative due to lack of a navigable GUI, running ROMs off a CLI-based emulator is a real pain to deal with. I was hoping Mupen64 Plus 1.99 would support both Windows and Glide64, but from the looks at it, hell has a chance of freezing over sooner than support is added for said plugin.

Last edited: