What's new

Source code released of Project64 1.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshroum

EDIT: Code and binary of unofficial versions download available at
http://code.google.com/p/project64/

mudlord just posted a link in freenode that seems to contain the source of project64 1.6. He told us that it is ok because the license allows him to distribute it

Code:
 * Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute Project64 in both binary and
 * source form, for non-commercial purposes, is hereby granted without fee,
 * providing that this license information and copyright notice appear with
 * all copies and any derived work.
 * This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
 * warranty. In no event shall the authors be held liable for any damages
 * arising from the use of this software.
 * Project64 is freeware for PERSONAL USE only. Commercial users should
 * seek permission of the copyright holders first. Commercial use includes
 * charging money for Project64 or software derived from Project64.
 * The copyright holders request that bug fixes and improvements to the code
 * should be forwarded to them so if they want them.

He posted following link

Code:
<mudlord> http://mudlord.info/temp/pj64.zip
<mudlord> PJ64 1.6 source
<mudlord> enjoy
<mudlord> >_>

can somebody verify that this is legit? I cannot find the source anywhere else on the pj64 page.

Last edited by a moderator:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
well, the source itself indicates permission for anyone with the source to distribute it. so no, permission from zilmar was not obtained. but you can't fight the license.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I find the decision to "open" the source for 1.6 quite futile.

All zilmar has to do is release binaries of the 1.7 version and the 1.6 thing will die. Without a 1.7 binary out it will still "probably" die, but there's room for doubt.

Don't get me wrong, keeping a project alive is good and all, it's just that releasing the source to the public does not magically make people work on the thing.

Toasty

Sony battery
Well for years we've been putting up with people who complain that the N64 scene would really take off if only PJ64's source was released. So now it's my turn!

@All those people: COME ON!!! TEH SORCE IS OUT SO WHEN R U GOING 2 FIX PJ64 AND MAEK A NEW VERSHN??? :evil:

That aside, I do hope this will be the boon to the scene that so many were saying it would be, though that optimism is very cautious.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Well for years we've been putting up with people who complain that the N64 scene would really take off if only PJ64's source was released. So now it's my turn!

@All those people: COME ON!!! TEH SORCE IS OUT SO WHEN R U GOING 2 FIX PJ64 AND MAEK A NEW VERSHN??? :evil:

That aside, I do hope this will be the boon to the scene that so many were saying it would be, though that optimism is very cautious.

'yes same here also :p' :p

no but really now all whinging should stop.

I think those guys are slightly annoyed that the source was actually released after they spent months closing threads telling people that it never would be. :)

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
1.7 as we, the testers have used, will never release

and if its still C with out of date compilers (to keep windows 98 compatibility... lolllllll) then it won't do better than 1.6 will once the types and files have been sanitized.

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
I find the decision to "open" the source for 1.6 quite futile.

All zilmar has to do is release binaries of the 1.7 version and the 1.6 thing will die. Without a 1.7 binary out it will still "probably" die, but there's room for doubt.

Don't get me wrong, keeping a project alive is good and all, it's just that releasing the source to the public does not magically make people work on the thing.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "futile." Sure zilmar could one up anyone working on 1.6, but there are reasons why 1.6 was kept as the latest stable release. I'm sure the loyal beta testers could go into detail.

This source leak is more important for people who have been interested in porting a newer release of PJ64 or creating a new fork. Even though mudlord is looking to progress it, I don't think there will be a massive amount of development on PJ itself. My gut tells me this leak won't be handled as gracefully by some of the N64 wizes that had picked up the UltraHLE source years back.

Don't forget, we can always still whine for Jabo's awesome work! :p lol

PJ64 1.7 doesn't offer anything worthwhile other than a new logo. 1.6 is out and will eventually improve, that's it. If there are people who want to stand around and say that it's pointless or useless, that's their business. Saying that the possibility of an emulator progressing is futile or a waste of time does seem silly, though. Especially since that's what we're all here for. If some people are not interested in seeing good things happen and only have negative things to say about it, they can go kick rocks.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

It would be awesome to see people working over this to make it better. Maybe if we get enough attention this could turn into something big.

PS: It seems that the guys at the Project64 forums are angry because "some people is handing out the code without permission" aka they don't want it to be released (too late anyway).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.