What's new

NFL Quarterback Club 99-2001

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
I am hoping someone can give me some insight into what exactly is wrong with these games. According to Project64 RDB, 99 is marked as (unstable?). According to the Glide64 help file, it says to use Nemu64 0.8 for all three of these games. So I'm assuming whatever issue NFL QBC 99 suffers from, the rest do as well, and in almost all emulators. I have played a full match in both 99 and 2000 so far in Project64, and besides some framerate issues I have not seen any stability problems.

Does anyone know exactly what is unstable about these games?

zoinkity

Incidentally, are you using PJ64 1.61, or which version? There was a stack of bugfixes in the patch and version 1.7 that could explain why you haven't had problems.

Unstable usually means serious glitches, black but responsive screens, or crashes. Most often crashes.

OP
Bighead

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
PJ64 1.6, don't have 1.7. What I'm wondering is what is supposed to be unstable about it?

zoinkity

Depending on your settings and plugins it can wind up in a nasty infinite loop. Actually, it would be helpful to know what your settings are for future reference.
If it goes 'unstable', when first loading it will have little bars of scrambled color at the top and bottom of the screen that will go away briefly and reappear as it attempts to load and decompress the same file repeatedly. It either happens or doesn't, which is why you get a weird comment like 'unstable?' and a general compatible rating.

OP
Bighead

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
Ok I see where you are coming from here, thanks for the info. These games are very problematic.

All three games seem to work fine in Project64 1.6 with Jabo 1.6.1 graphics plugins. They also seem to work in Apollo v0.10, but 2K and 2K1 have some audio issues if trying to obtain playable speed. 2K and 2K1 can be modified with a counter factor of 1 in Project64 to increase performance with no apparent hit to stability. 99 and 2K work in Nemu64, but 2K1 doesn't detect a controller.

After a few hours of testing, I typed up some notes so here they are for the sake of sharing.

NFL Quarterback Club 99
- Project64 + Jabo 1.6.1 plugins - works fine.
- Nemu64 + Glide64 - works fine.
- Project64 + Glide64 - Works, uncheck "Software depth buffer rendering" in Glide64 or plugin crashes.
- Apollo v0.10 + Glide64 or Jabo 1.6.1 - works fine, use Counter Hack of 2.
- Wrong shadow depth with Jabo 1.5.x plugins, random error message forcing restart.
- Fails to boot in Mupen64.
- Randomly hangs in 1964, needs 1964 Audio to not hang but too fast.

NFL Quarterback Club 2000
- Project64 + Jabo 1.6.1 plugins - works fine, low FPS, off centered playbook and pause menu (maybe normal). Counter factor of 1 increases FPS, no apparent stability loss.
- Apollo v0.10 + Glide64 or Jabo 1.6.1 - works fine, use Counter Hack of 1. Audio slightly skips.
- Nemu64 + Glide64 - works, but constant "CPU errors". Uncheck "Show Errors" under options. No apparent issues after.
- Project64 + Glide64 - Doesn't work, plugin crashes on load.
- Glide64 distorted graphics in 1964.
- Randomly hangs in 1964.
- Wrong resolution in Mupen64 (all plugins), missing some of the screen at the top.

NFL Quarterback Club 2001
- Project64 + Jabo 1.6.1 plugins - works fine, incorrect shadows. Counter factor of 1 smooths gameplay, no apparent stability loss.
- Apollo v0.10 + Glide64 or Jabo 1.6.1 - works, use Counter Hack of 1. Audio skips often.
- Project64 + Glide64 - Doesn't work, plugin crashes on load.
- Freezes in PJ64 with Jabo 1.5.x plugins at first playbook.
- Freezes in 1964 at first playbook.
- Wrong resolution in Mupen64 (all plugins), missing some of the screen at the top.
- Incorrect shadows with all graphics plugins.
- Nemu64 shows "No Controller" although all 4 are enabled.