What's new

Mupen64Plus 1.99.5 tagged and released!

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I have tagged and released Mupen64Plus version 1.99.5. It's been over a year since the last tag, and we're long overdue for a new version. There's nothing too earth shattering here, but a lot of minor fixes and improvements have acculumated since 1.99.4. One of the most important changes in this release is that I have finalized the API version handling between each of the different modules. This means that in the future, we can make small or big changes to the API, and all of the compatibility issues will be handled gracefully. I have also added version information to the configuration sections for most of the modules. This will help backwards compatibility as well, because newer versions of plugins will be able to automatically update their configuration information when there are changes.

Some of the highlights of the 1.99.5 release are:

• Core: emulate N64 internal real-time clock
  • Core: use X-Scale's new cracked PIF-CIC algorithm
  • Core: New config parameter for path to save SRAM/EEPROM/MPK files, so they can be separated from emulator snapshots
  • Core: bugfix: #290 - OnScreenDisplay text is sometimes captured in screenshots
  • Core: bugfix: for Interpreter cores, use proper math functions instead of x87 rounding modes (fixes some games)
  • Input: Improved input setup behavior (auto-config) to make some use cases more friendly
  • Input: Add new parameter for mouse sensitivity, handle mouse movement differently so mouse is easier to use as controller
  • Input: New auto-configurations for 7 controllers
  • Input: bugfix: #392 - fail to switch between rumble pak and memory pak is some cases
  • Input: bugfix: #424 - problem with USB devices supporting multiple controllers per device
  • RSP: Handle JPEG decompression, used in Ogre Battle 64 and Pokemon Stadium
  • UI-Console: New option to disable internal core speed limiter (for benchmarking)
  • Rice-Video: Hires texture loading: support for 8-bit PNG images
  • Rice-Video: New config option for forcing vertical sync
  • Rice-Video: Bugfixes: GUI front-end integration, hi-res textures, crashes
  • Lots of makefiles fixes and improvements from Lazhur

Quick start (Linux)
The easiest way to start running and testing this release is to download a binary bundle package from the Google Code site (link below), unzip it into a directory, and run it with this command: "./mupen64plus m64p_test_rom.v64". You can run it directly from this directory, or to install it to your system, simply do "sudo ./install.sh". Likewise, to un-install it, "sudo ./uninstall.sh"

Quick start (Windows)
For Windows users, download the bundle-win32 zip file from the Google Code site (link below) and unzip it to a directory. Bust out your DOS prompt (Start->Run->cmd.exe or the "Command Prompt" in Start->Accessories). Once you have the command-line window, 'cd' to the directory where you unzipped the win32 bundle. Then run "mupen64plus-ui-console.exe mupen64plus.v64" to start up the test ROM. Press Escape to exit. Use the '--help' command-line option to get a list of all available options. The last argument is always taken to be a path to an uncompressed N64 ROM image to run. Sorry but there is currently no Windows installer available.

Upgrading from previous 1.99.x releases
Due to the new configuration version numbers, your old configuration settings will be reset to defaults. If you have made any configuration changes since installing an earlier version of Mupen64Plus, you may want to make a backup copy of your config file (look here to find out where this file is stored depending on your OS). In future releases, the upgrades will be handled transparently.

To download Mupen64Plus v1.99.5, just grab the package that you want:

mupen64plus-bundle-osx-1.99.5.zip
mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-1.99.5.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.5.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-1.99.5-ubuntu.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.5-ubuntu.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-win32-1.99.5.zip
mupen64plus-bundle-src-1.99.5.tar.gz

Please note that the Linux binary packages are linked against the latest version of libpng, which is 1.5. Many Linux distributions still have older versions of libpng, so the "-ubuntu" packages are provided which link against libpng 1.2. If you get 'dlopen' errors when running the default binary build, try the "-ubuntu" package instead.

The MD5 sums for these packages are:

4313f20ea419b80cc82712c44c971720 mupen64plus-bundle-osx-1.99.5.zip
268a20d48a11eae0651f65972c84920b mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-1.99.5.tar.gz
a462b1c9c36aaf7f6e263890124c1423 mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-1.99.5-ubuntu.tar.gz
1c28c55dfc8e019387982f121fc15ec8 mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.5.tar.gz
cb23711bd4354a2c4eef29d96a23c04f mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.5-ubuntu.tar.gz
93772a6d6fc6a63353462deae8a6db71 mupen64plus-bundle-src-1.99.5.tar.gz
61f36c7ac14e494b954a1fe41bce852d mupen64plus-bundle-win32-1.99.5.zip

Mupen64Plus has a Home Page over at Google Code, with lots of useful information, screenshots, a bug tracker, a discussion forum, etc. The new Mupen64Plus API is documented at http://mupen64plus.retrouprising.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page.

Last edited:

murasame

Hello everybody and thanks for your work. Mupen64plus's latest release works tremendously great on my linux mint 13 (64). I have a question though : Is there now a way to use Hi-resolution textures with glide64 (a.k.a Napalm / GlideHQ) ? I haven't been able to find it out by myself.

Back in 2009 this is what you said :

Saying that Napalm will be 'merged' with Mupen64Plus was an inaccurate choice of words on my part, but it will require substantial modification to be useful to us. I'm in the process of designing an API to separate the core emulator from the GUI for the 2.0 release of Mupen64Plus, and this change will impact the plugins as well. Since Glide64 Napalm seems to be highly regarded for its compatibility with N64 software, it is desirable for us to make the necessary changes so that it can continue to work with Mupen64Plus. Some of these changes will not be useful to you, since they will break compatibility with the old API, but we are willing to push patches upstream for the work we do which is useful (such as porting asm code to 64-bit). I understand your desire to only have one Glide64 Napalm, so if we do make a compatible release for Mupen64Plus v2.0, we'll give it a different name to avoid confusing users.

Richard

Anything has evolved ?

Edit : I just wish I could play Majora's Mask with the lastest Cell Shaded Textures... which are only available for glide64 !

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Glide Napalm has not yet been ported to the new mupen64plus api. It's on my list of things to do. Our Rice Video plugin does take hi-res textures though.

murasame

Glide Napalm has not yet been ported to the new mupen64plus api. It's on my list of things to do. Our Rice Video plugin does take hi-res textures though.

That's great news as compiling from the sources has been prooving too difficult in my home desktop environment.

Indeed Rice Video plugin has been doing the job fairly well so far. Unfortunately, it cannot handle the latest fancy hi-res textures I'm trying to use (i.e. Djipi's latest cell shaded pack).

At the end of the day, it's not so much a matter of having the texture but rather more the feeling that I like to have everything working on my linux rather than have a dual boot system.

Everybody is on linux here here home (wife and sons) and no, I definitely do not want to install windows on any computer : 1- That's not the spirit. 2- (and most importantly) I do not own any windows license nor do I plan to buy one.

I really appreciate that you took the time to post an answer and I really mean to tell you how great mupen64plus already is and how much good memories it brings back. Thank you for the great work.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Can you post a link to the latest Djipi's cell shaded pack? It might be easy to fix rice video to support this. It will be at least a few months before the latest glide64 is ported. I have the source code ready in an Hg repo (I guess it is Glide64 Final - it's the last code from Gonetz and I checked it against a repo from Mudlord) but just no time to work on it.

murasame

Can you post a link to the latest Djipi's cell shaded pack? It might be easy to fix rice video to support this. It will be at least a few months before the latest glide64 is ported. I have the source code ready in an Hg repo (I guess it is Glide64 Final - it's the last code from Gonetz and I checked it against a repo from Mudlord) but just no time to work on it.

I did post you a link did you get it though ?

the_randomizer

Why can't I use Glide64 with this? It would work so much better on Konami games. I shouldn't be limited to the inferior Rice Video plugins.

murasame

Why can't I use Glide64 with this? It would work so much better on Konami games. I shouldn't be limited to the inferior Rice Video plugins.

Because glide64 has not been ported to yet. you can still use 1.99.4 which works with an outdated version of glide64.

As for your statement, I'd say it's a bit harsh and subjective. Both have pros and cons but I would not say one is "superior" or "inferior" to the other. As far as I'm concerned, I mostly use Rice's video plugin and it makes my day.

PS: Are you the same randomizer that keeps ranting on and on on some other famous Emulation forums ??? ;-) Spotted !

the_randomizer

Because glide64 has not been ported to yet. you can still use 1.99.4 which works with an outdated version of glide64.

As for your statement, I'd say it's a bit harsh and subjective. Both have pros and cons but I would not say one is "superior" or "inferior" to the other. As far as I'm concerned, I mostly use Rice's video plugin and it makes my day.

PS: Are you the same randomizer that keeps ranting on and on on some other famous Emulation forums ??? ;-) Spotted !

What if I am..? And yes, I use the same pseudonym in various places. Sorry, I've just had way too many bad experiences with Rice Video and Konami games not working properly. But I digress, I just realized that the Glide64 code has not been ported yet.

murasame

Hi Richard,

I hope you had a nice holiday !

Any news about a rice video pluging fix to support the above-mentioned textures ?

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Hi Richard,

I hope you had a nice holiday !

Any news about a rice video pluging fix to support the above-mentioned textures ?

I downloaded and looked at this texture pack, but it appears to be a totally new data format. There are only 2 files in the archive: a HIRESTEXTURES file and a MEMORYCACHE file. This may not be as simple as adding support for a new PNG color format or that type of thing. Can you tell me which plugins and which versions support this new format?

murasame

I downloaded and looked at this texture pack, but it appears to be a totally new data format. There are only 2 files in the archive: a HIRESTEXTURES file and a MEMORYCACHE file. This may not be as simple as adding support for a new PNG color format or that type of thing. Can you tell me which plugins and which versions support this new format?

Indeed Richard, hence my original question. As far as I understand it, the plugin works with Glide64 Final where :

The plugin content folder goes into C:\Program Files\YourEmulator\Plugin\

The wrapper fil i.e. glide3x.dll goes into C:\Program Files\YourEmulator\

Djipi's texture pack goes into C:\Program Files\YourEmulator\Plugin\cache

And then in the video plugin settings :

- tick ’Show advanced emulation options’
- tick ’Show texture enhancement options’

and then

- restart the plugin
- click on the ’texture enhancement’ tab
- under the ’Hi-resolution texture’ tab, select ’rice format’
- untick ’Alternative CRC Calculation’

Voilà ! I haven't tried it though cause I'm on a Linux sytem but this is how the texture pack is reported to work.

Hopes it helps.

DETOMINE

To be more precise, Glide64 converts the texture pack (rice format) into its own format when you load the rom the first time

Example (using the settings above and glide64 (glideHD.dll required)).
1)download your texture pack (usual way), put it in the plugin folder as if you wanted to use it with the rice video plugin
2)launch the game (glide64 plugin), glide will convert the texture pack found and put it in the HIRESTEXTURES file
3)next time you launch the game, loading of texture is instantaneous

Last edited:

death--droid

Glide64 never actually converts the texture format...
It just simply packs all the textures into one file and compresses them, making it faster to read out of. Its a hard disk cache rather then storing everything in memory like the basic on that Microdev implemented into Rice Video