What's new

Animated PNGs for High resolution GLIDE/RICE texture packs?

oldy

Are there any plans to implement this?

i would be nice to use it to animate character's faces on N64 games
(blinking eyelids)

,simulate flickering of lights or torches of nearby wall textures -

,animate water so it looks a bit better in some games.
or adding some small animations to video screens in some games

many other uses are possible.

death--droid

Are you referring to a specific file format?? Or the implementation to load a group of pngs in as a animation like 1964Video(A modification of Rice Video) has implemented already?

OP
O

oldy

Are you referring to a specific file format?? Or the implementation to load a group of pngs in as a animation like 1964Video(A modification of Rice Video) has implemented already?

I think he's talking about the APNG file format.

Yes the APNG format, i will have to check out 1964Video,
as of right now, i guess the only advantage of using Apngs is that the plugin would not have to have a folder with hundreds of files to animate one texture.
but it seems that both methods end up working the same.

one example is - pretend this little face ---:eek: --- is the flat texture mario sprite of the mario kart animation frame of mario facing towards you.

if this 'texture frame' is replaced by a APNG given enough time it should do this:-----------------------------------------------:puke:---

( in the case of mario kart - raise his arms or blink or salute) this is useful for the trophy scene when his "front' frame stays the same for a while.

if the series of PNGs used by 1964 video works the same with any or all textures within the games then i guess there would be no point, other than the Single file VS tens or dozens....