What's new

Any interest in doing hi-res textures for Wii/GC games?

mode7

TP is pretty low res - but thats about the only thing I can criticize about them otherwise they are great. Kinda hard to recreate until you're professional texture artist.

Datadayne

I would love to retexture wind waker,,, give it a different look from cell shade. Too bad my computer doesnt like dolphin.

Kupfel

hmm considering the character models in wind waker that are totally cartoon style i dont know if it didn't look really weird with anything other than cell shading ^^

I wonder why no one ever redid the HUD of windwaker in hi-res though, since that is the one thing that's not rendered and looks sorta out of place when everything else is hi-res :)

Datadayne

hmm considering the character models in wind waker that are totally cartoon style i dont know if it didn't look really weird with anything other than cell shading ^^)
Which is why I picked wind waker, lol. You can still push the details in a cell shade style though, look at crackdown. There are so many different styles of cell shade, killer 7, okami, madworld (theres an idea,, colored retexture for madworld), that prince of persia game.

Would still be cool to see wind waker in a more realistic version though, imo.

OP
T

Terranigma

not very much, considering the games textures already are pretty decent.

I don't know, RE4's textures aren't that high of a resolution either. I mean, a game like Paper Mario would be hard to top, but I think quite a few games have some crummy textures. The scoop of Wii/GC texturing is greater than N64, of course, but I've seen teams formed on this board. I'm seen people retexture entire PC games like Oblivion.

AaronLite

I'm really interested, but from testing with zelda TP on GC, it seems to be limited to 1024 res. Also if you increase the res, some textures like links chainmail and hyrule field ground turn purple and glitched, looking from certain distances. :(

I think the loader still needs work. not sure if the gimped textures is only zelda GC, or zelda wii and all other games too. Also the 1024 limit that I think is on all games kind of sucks, but 1024 is still not bad...

Here is a before and after of a texture I replaced, no problems with this one, other than limited res. For some reason the original glows like crazy, had to make it really dark and lower saturation to make it not look stupid. =P

Dolphin2010-08-0120-16-56-96.jpg

Dolphin2010-08-0120-07-13-85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

death--droid

From last I worked with Dolphins hires loading code, it has some problems with game saves, and needs a few more things done to improve it.

mode7

I'm really interested, but from testing with zelda TP on GC, it seems to be limited to 1024 res. Also if you increase the res, some textures like links chainmail and hyrule field ground turn purple and glitched, looking from certain distances. :(

I think the loader still needs work. not sure if the gimped textures is only zelda GC, or zelda wii and all other games too. Also the 1024 limit that I think is on all games kind of sucks, but 1024 is still not bad...

Here is a before and after of a texture I replaced, no problems with this one, other than limited res. For some reason the original glows like crazy, had to make it really dark and lower saturation to make it not look stupid. =P

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/CoolGuitar/Dolphin2010-08-0120-16-56-96.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/CoolGuitar/Dolphin2010-08-0120-07-13-85.jpg

Not bad!
Still the improvment seems a lot bigger in an n64 game than in a Wii game.

OP
T

Terranigma

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/CoolGuitar/Dolphin2010-08-0120-16-56-96.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/CoolGuitar/Dolphin2010-08-0120-07-13-85.jpg

First of all, AWESOME!!!

Second of all, who cares if the limit is small. What you did already looks night and day compared to the original texture. I think you'll be fine with 1024 limit.

You should post this in the dolphin forums to get more people to see it. Maybe they'll open a hi-res texture section as well if more people start doing this.

AaronLite

Thanks. : )

Well the 1024 limit isn't too bothersome I guess, but I tried to re-texture hyrule field, links chainmail, some leaves... All of them were purply and glitched from a certain distance. Not sure if that's how most games are, or just TP, or just the GC version.

Also the higher res I made the texture, the closer you had to get to it for it not to be glitched. :crazy:

Last edited:

AaronLite

My bad, had to disable use native mips, think that was the problem. Will probably do some textures here and there. I'll try to work on one area, instead of going all over the place though. :p

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Hey nice feature.
After the Wii games got finally a decent resolution with dolphin, they now probably can get high res textures. :)

AaronLite

Heres another before and after...

2.jpg

1.jpg

don't have anymore shots for now...

Probably gonna change the mountain/rock texture to match closer to the original, but looks good on everything anyways... also make grass less green to match more areas, but not like the original. some tweaks, etc... I got 2048 res textures for replacement if they update the loader for higher res too.

Lol, they used the same texture for dirt, scenery rocks, and paper... Got a good texture for it though. =p

Last edited by a moderator:

jim0_0

Heres another before and after...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/CoolGuitar/2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/CoolGuitar/1.jpg

don't have anymore shots for now...

Probably gonna change the mountain/rock texture to match closer to the original, but looks good on everything anyways... also make grass less green to match more areas, but not like the original. some tweaks, etc... I got 2048 res textures for replacement if they update the loader for higher res too.

Lol, they used the same texture for dirt, scenery rocks, and paper... Got a good texture for it though. =p

This is some impressive work. You're one of the first people re-texturing a Gamecube game, congrats.

Those textures make a world of difference. I hope we see some more progress with this..

Last edited: