1964Video - official DevTalk & Release thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEROSENE

3 more problems. but only when I check
"Load hi-res textures if available" & "Cache hi-res tectures"
1964video_fuckup_2.jpg

1964video_fuckup_4.jpg

and this funny one. My card does have pixel shader.
http://ati.amd.com/products/mobilityradeonhd4600/specs.html
1964video_fuckup_3.jpg

OP
M

microdev

I use the latest version of this:

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=45875

And come to think of it, 1.1 GB is absolutely insane. o_O The emulator should use ~5-50 MB itself, the ROM 32 MB, and the texture pack is 692 MB. Even though that ~750 MB of usage is still pretty high for an emulator, it's still below the projected 1.1 GB.

I was able to recreate this problem. So far I have no clue as the code seems to be correct. Maybe it's a restriction of the amount of memory windows assigns to the process. (Like the heap space assignment in Java...)

Does anyone skilled in C++ know something about such restrictions?

HOLY CRAP I GOT IT TO WORK!

What I did was go to the older version of the plugin, that is Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video. That didn't work - it said I was missing msvcrtd.dll, so I checked the post again. It said I needed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 so I got that, but it still said the DLL was missing. So I got the DLL and even though I wasn't getting the error anymore, the plugin wasn't listed... HOWEVER, 1964video WAS listed!

So it looks like you need Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and/or msvcrtd.dll to use this plugin. You might want to mention that in the OP. ;P

Great! I'll do but please give me some background information: What did you do to cause the error? Did you as well change from DirectX10 to DirectX11? Under which DirectX version did it run without this library?

3 more problems. but only when I check
"Load hi-res textures if available" & "Cache hi-res tectures"
Well, I can't read anything on your screenshots. Could you please cut out the interesting parts and repost them a little bit larger? No need for the desktop.

GEROSENE

first one says:

"Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices"

second one says:

"CN64System::LoadFileImage - Exception caught

third one says:

"Video card does not support pixel shader, will use BEST_FIT

*EDIT*
tried it with Rice 6.1.4 ~ works fine with hires_textures
tried it with Jabo Direct3D8 ~ works fine with texture_load
tried it again with yours and same messages.

just to confirm i have:

~ Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
~ DirectX 11
~ Microsoft .NET framework 4 Extended
~ Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 service pack 2
~ Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update
~ Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 beta 2 x86

the rest in my sig. thanks for looking into this.

**EDIT**
just tried it with the cache left unchecked.. works fine. at least i narrowed it down.

Last edited:
OP
M

microdev

first one says:

"Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices"

second one says:

"CN64System::LoadFileImage - Exception caught

third one says:

"Video card does not support pixel shader, will use BEST_FIT

*EDIT*
tried it with Rice 6.1.4 ~ works fine with hires_textures
tried it with Jabo Direct3D8 ~ works fine with texture_load
tried it again with yours and same messages.

just to confirm i have:

~ Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
~ DirectX 11
~ Microsoft .NET framework 4 Extended
~ Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 service pack 2
~ Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update
~ Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 beta 2 x86

the rest in my sig. thanks for looking into this.

**EDIT**
just tried it with the cache left unchecked.. works fine. at least i narrowed it down.

Thanks for the info. The reason for the crash is the same as for the other members that have posted above:

Windows assigns a max of 1GB of heap space to each process. As caching your texture pack requires more than that, the plugin is unable to allocate memory for the textures & crashes. So, for the time being it will just work for packs that require less than 1GB.

I'm sure, it is somehow possible to increase the amount of assigned heap space and also to make the caching more efficient through texture compressing. But as stated in the first post, texture caching is so far just in an experimental state. Personally, I like to concentrate on learning about the usage of the DirectX API atm as I have not yet really worked with it. Thus, improving the caching has low priority to me for now.

But of course, if someone else likes to work on it in the meantime, I would be more than happy.

Last edited:

GEROSENE

** THE FIX **

1.Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

2.In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

4.Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

5.Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

6.Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

7.Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

custom sizes should be the size of the Currently allocated memory at the bottom.
hit ok and your done. works like a charm if you have more the 2GB memory.

calvino

hi,

i'm facing an issue when trying to compile the plugin

it's explained here , could you please help me to solve it!

thanks a lot

OP
M

microdev

** THE FIX **

1.Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

2.In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6.Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

7.Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

custom sizes should be the size of the Currently allocated memory at the bottom.

Yes, this is a workaround - good find! But I'm looking for a solution that solves the issue programmatically - either by configuring VC++ or by changing the heap size through code in the plugin.

Hi, everyone

i'm actually working on slight improvements of rice plugin that i'll share with people who are interested in those as soon as possible, but i'm confronted to a problem which drives me insane when i try to link the project:

these errors seems to suggest that BMGLib.lib isn't provided to the linker but when i check the list of libs provided, BMGLib.lib appears in the list.. i just can't see what is wrong here

i checked on google for someone with a similar issue but all i got was:

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=46949&page=7 (first post)

where the poster states further in the post that his "solution" for that issue was to remove every call statements to those methods =]

can anyone save my day and point me to any workaround to get that working?

thanks a lot!

You are right, the error means that the linker is unable to find BMGlib.lib.

I'm not sure, what you mean with "the list of libs provided". Did you add the path to BMGlib.lib under options/VC++-directories/library-files? If yes, does BMGlib.lib exist under the provided path?

The path should be <your path to the source code>\1964Video\lib

For contributing your changes to the svn, please PM me the email-address you are using for google code.

microdev

Last edited:
OP
M

microdev

ok i reimported the project from the svn, and everything works fine now, thanks microdev for your help :)

Great. Concerning you other issue with SM sky: SM definately uses a skybox, which means the sky consists of tiles and should be dumped. But: I might be that it uses a dynamic palette for the blue, which would mean that the color is altered by the game.

calvino

Great. Concerning you other issue with SM sky: SM definately uses a skybox, which means the sky consists of tiles and should be dumped. But: I might be that it uses a dynamic palette for the blue, which would mean that the color is altered by the game.

it's not super mario, but mario kart that i'm retexturing, i don't know if there is a difference, but i never found any texture that could match the sky, nor did i ever see a mario kart sky hack!

by the way, i was wondering where did the tons of options of former rice video plugin went, in the 1964 video plugin i got from the SVN? isn't 1964 video plugin supposed to be an evolution of rice plugin?

OP
M

microdev

it's not super mario, but mario kart that i'm retexturing, i don't know if there is a difference, but i never found any texture that could match the sky, nor did i ever see a mario kart sky hack!

by the way, i was wondering where did the tons of options of former rice video plugin went, in the 1964 video plugin i got from the SVN? isn't 1964 video plugin supposed to be an evolution of rice plugin?

Indeed, it is. Most probably, you have not activated "show advanced options" in the config dialog. All options of rice are still in there plus an additional option for activating texture caching.

Yes, for Mario Kart it might be a completely different thing. I didn't check that, yet.

Railroads

I have noticed a bug in Majoras Mask, everytime when motion blur effects are
displayed the screen turns black, which make it impossible to beat the game.:(

I have Win7 HP x64, an Intel Core 2 Duo E8200@3,6 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 Memory and a Radeon HD4870 with latest 1024MB.
I already tried to update drivers and playing with the settings, it doesn`t work:(

GEROSENE

Yes, this is a workaround - good find! But I'm looking for a solution that solves the issue programmatically - either by configuring VC++ or by changing the heap size through code in the plugin.
personally i woudn't worry about configuring VC++ or by changing the heap size through code in the plugin too much. this is an easy workaround so mabey include a readme file to expain it.
if say you could get games like StarWars Rogue Squadron to work say with PJ64 I'd gladly donate $20 lol. or is that just the way the cart file was dumped? another suggestion..
you should change the plugin name back to 1964. looks more clean imo. thanks.

Kodiack

** THE FIX **

This doesn't help my issue, I'm afraid. I've been running with a 24 GB page file for...man, I don't even know how long now, haha. I use some pretty memory-intensive things at times, so I like to have as much memory as immediately available at all times.

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
Hi, do not know if this the right thread for this but i found a problem with this new awesome plug-in.

Times ago i started a Mortal Kombat 4 Retexturing Project, but never finished cause of my low PS skills. Now i used the time and learned PS so my skill are now much better. Today i download the new plug-in and PJ 1.6 to give my project one more chance.

The problem is, that i started with (E) Version but with the new Plugin, there are massive Problems:

The Screen flickers uncontrollably back and forth. (in previous versions, there were no problem with the Europa ROM.)

The US version is still working. So that's not the main Problem (E und U Versions are quite the same as i think and anyway i will start the project from scratch).

There is also an little Problem with the US Version (also in previos version). I did this post also times ago, but unfortunately nobody notice. The thing is that effects are not correctly shown, like on this screen:
mk4.png

So why I am start this post?

Of course to submit the problems with this beautiful classic game. It on your own, you will fix that or not but it would be very beautiful some one take a look at. ;)

Second, with this i will say that I am back with better skills in PS and also in my English grammar as you can see/read ^^ (not perfect but much better ;) )

Well, sorry for so much OT, i hope that is the right thread and some one will notice the MK4 Bugs this time. ;)

LG,
Mr.Wolna

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi Microdev and everyone else,

Wow, I have been out of the loop for too long! I missed this up until last Friday. Since then I have read every word of this thread and tried all the fixes, etc... that others have mentioned. They have helped me get 1964video to work as I was having trouble getting the plugin to load. But instead of posting right away I worked through my issues using the info already posted here.

Thank you Microdev for mentioning me, my texture pack and my earlier work/encouragement in getting the issues (I) was having with 'rice' worked on. Thank you for taking it upon yourself to continue! :)

I also have the problem of the emu (PJ64) crashing when loading my CLOD texture pack. I tried the 'fix' of going into UCP and changing the mem paging allocation, bla bla bla, but it did nothing for me (w/4gig RAM). I understand the issue and I'm not asking for help...

What I have here is an example of another time I had this issue. It happened to be with Glide64, but it was the same thing we are dealing with here. So, for your reference here is the link to my post about it, and what I discovered to 'fix' the problem, post# 530: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4997&page=67

Since S3TC (DDS/DXT) texture compression is implemented in glide64, I am hoping, for you, that it would be 'easier' for it to be implemented here?!

Also, do you think the DDS/DXT format 'could' be made compatible with the plugin for making texture packs in DXT/DDS texture format, in addition to PNG? It reduces the size of the pack(s) by about 75% or more, for faster uploading and downloading the packs once published? Jabo is an example for this. Anti-stropic filtering also seems to work like a dream in Jabo when DDS/DXT textures are used. No other combo can smooth out dense textures in the distance or at an angle like DXT in Jabo with ASF turned up. I can post a comparison pic of you like. :)

Oooo, that's enough for you to read for now. I have been saving it up for a few days now.

Again Microdev and anyone else that's working on this, THANK YOU! :D

Later,
Jay

Last edited:
OP
M

microdev

Thank you Microdev for mentioning me, my texture pack and my earlier work/encouragement in getting the issues (I) was having with 'rice' worked on. Thank you for taking it upon yourself to continue! :)

It's a pleasure. Such a great pack deserves as much recognition as possible. Do you intend to finish it?

Great to see that you are active again, btw.

I also have the problem of the emu (PJ64) crashing when loading my CLOD texture pack. I tried the 'fix' of going into UCP and changing the mem paging allocation, bla bla bla, but it did nothing for me (w/4gig RAM). I understand the issue and I'm not asking for help...
Yes, caching is still very experimental & I didn't try the proposed fix myself, yet. But strange, your pack always worked for me without any changes. Does it also crash if you disable caching?

Since S3TC (DDS/DXT) texture compression is implemented in glide64, I am hoping, for you, that it would be 'easier' for it to be implemented here?!

Also, do you think the DDS/DXT format 'could' be made compatible with the plugin for making texture packs in DXT/DDS texture format, in addition to PNG? It reduces the size of the pack(s) by about 75% or more, for faster uploading and downloading the packs once published? Jabo is an example for this. Anti-stropic filtering also seems to work like a dream in Jabo when DDS/DXT textures are used. No other combo can smooth out dense textures in the distance or at an angle like DXT in Jabo with ASF turned up. I can post a comparison pic of you like. :)
Yes, I also think texture compression should be implemented. It is absolutely possible to do it for this plugin. Just somebody has to do it. The thing is that I don't have much time to work on the plugin atm. The time I currently have, I would like to use for reading into DirectX as I don't have any experience with this API so far. Later on, I will add texture compression (and will hopefully succeed) if nobody has it done in the meantime.

gitech

N64 Artist
It's a pleasure. Such a great pack deserves as much recognition as possible. Do you intend to finish it?

Great to see that you are active again, btw.

Yes, caching is still very experimental & I didn't try the proposed fix myself, yet. But strange, your pack always worked for me without any changes. Does it also crash if you disable caching?

Yes, I also think texture compression should be implemented. It is absolutely possible to do it for this plugin. Just somebody has to do it. The thing is that I don't have much time to work on the plugin atm. The time I currently have, I would like to use for reading into DirectX as I don't have any experience with this API so far. Later on, I will add texture compression (and will hopefully succeed) if nobody has it done in the meantime.

YES! Especially now that the plugin is getting better! ;) :D

Thanks, I think I can give some of my time to help others again. :)

No, it works normal without caching turned on. I've noticed the change to how textures are dumped, loaded and calculated. So far, I have gone through the first two levels and fixed some textures that I had duplicates in the pack, and r35 found.

I did notice that if you do a 'new' texture, ie: resize it, then the emu needs to be restarted for it to display correctly, once it even crashed the emu. I'm guessing that 'size info' is stored, and if that changes, the plugin has a 'problem'? Sorry I don't know what words to really use. =]

It's awesome you are so easy to chat with and are so willing to help! I can fully understand about having a limited time for 'other things'. My time is tight as well. I have faith compression will be implemented some time, by someone. I'm sure you doing the best thing with your time, as it's you that knows what you're doing! :D

Do you think DXT/DDS texture format can be made compatibe as well, so the texture packs themselves can be made in DDS/DXT?

Thanks again and TTYL,
Jay

Mollymutt

All you have to do is make a folder names "wip", and put any textures you're working on. The plugin will check only that folder when reloading save states.

Status
Not open for further replies.