What's new

N64 emulation on Macs

Selrak

Hello everyone :bouncy:

As you doubtlessly understood by reading the title, I own a Mac and want to play good ol' N64 games, especially TLOZ - OOT. Thing is, I can't find a decent Mac N64 emulator - I downloaded sixtyforce and a ROM but it won't save the game. Considering that I rarely have 10 to 15 hours available ahead of me I thought that saving was essential to playing the game ... right =D ?

So I ask your help and knowledge about this matter. Anything to help me out, advice or ideas ? Thanks in advance for your time ;-) ,

Selrak

OP
S

Selrak

Mac port ? What is that ? Do explain as my knowledge doesn't reach as far as yours :unsure:

OP
S

Selrak

I got it. But ... it doesn't work. Here's exactly what I mean : I launched the OOT ROM (or ISO I never know which word is right here) on Mupen64, saw the rotating 3D letter N with Nintendo64 written besides it, then it faded away, and you'd expect to see the presentation video for the game, but instead ... it crashed and disappeared. For your info I have a MacBook (1.83 GHz, 3 Go RAM) with Mac OS 10.5.6 installed. Any clues as to why that happened and how to solve it ? Thanks a lot !

Wally

its not very good Mupen 64 plus, requires all sorta witchcraftery to get it working.

There's another version of Mupen though and OOT works great in it (I use it to test daedalus) or if i really need to i'll use Project 64 in Vmware.

Sixtyforce is also good but you should really pay for a license if you wish to save :p

OP
S

Selrak

Alright so I downloaded Mupen64 plus, configured it and got it to half work audio is fine but graphics aren't and the controls don't all respond. The only ones that do are buttons A and B (which I set to be letters F and G), as well as the pre-set Mupen64 controls : mute, pause, accelerate (which happens to also be the F key), save/load state and so forth. It's really frustrating though.
I then found that I could activate the mouse and use it instead of the arrows. But anyways that doesn't matter as most keys don't and that there are lots of graphics missing - entire beige or blue-gray shapes without the details on them.
I need to mention something now though : the OOT file that I have is a .rom file, not a .z64 or any of those other more common 64 rom format. Maybe that's the source of all the problems I have - could you tell me wether it is or not ?
Thanks again for your precious help, you all really get things moving there :)

Also to Wally = > I previously tried to use Mupen version 0.5.1r2 and it is what got that thread started : it quits right after the Nintendo 64 rotating 3D letter N fades away. You also seem to say that I can have Project 64 (which I used to have when I had a PC and it's great) run on my Mac with this Vmware software ? Do tell me more about this, thanks ;). I do agree about sixtyforce by the way. And what witchcraftery are you talking about as for Mupen64plus ?

Wally

Depends what type of mac you have, if you have an Intel mac you can buy VMware or use Virtualbox to install Windows XP in a virtual machine, Crossover:Mac may also work which is a virtual solution which is kinda like wine for linux.

Why do we mac users have to miss out on big projects :( Really no excuse for a Mac version now as its all Intel and maybe the Dynarec will work in OSX.

I need the Save State feature because I work on the Daedalus Emulator for PSP and sometimes its good to boot a rom and save it ingame to see if that works on the PSP (Some games just won't boot)

OP
S

Selrak

I did check out VMware but I realized it just enabled you to install Windows, and I don't have a copy of it. Although as of right now that seems to be the best option because I know for sure that Windows will work and Project 64 with it.

FYI I do have an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor which is great =] . But that doesn't seem to make Mupen64Plus or any other N64 emulator work :plain: ... heeeelp :( ! So far though Mupen64Plus has worked best, it's the only one that didn't crash on launch or anytime later before the game starts. But for what I get it's not really much ...

What about that ROM file format matter - does it have anything to do with he problems I encounter or what ? And what about all this witchcraftery you mentioned ? I'm ready to go through it if I need ...