What's new

Graphical problems in menus/inventories - any solutions?

wolpelido

Since I've begun playing on n64 emulators I've found it to be very enjoyable, but there always seem to be one thing that ruins the experience for me: the pause menus/inventories. This problem is pretty much the only thing that still makes me dust of my old n64 console instead of running an emulator when playing through old classics like OoT and Paper Mario.

For example, let's try out Ocarina of Time (E) (M3) (V1.0) with Project64 and bring up the start menu:

Jacobs Direct3D8 1.6
---
Link model is gone from inventory. Instead he's replaced with a big white box.
I'm not 100% sure on this one but I think there's something wrong with the "fog" on the world map. It's more gray than white.

Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.1 Beta 10
---
The menu's "popup" effect is...weird. Textures are repeated and Link pops up out of nowhere.
Background behind the menu is all screwed up and repeated.
Link model is this time replaced with a box containing repeated shield and cloud textures and whatnot.

So yeah, my question is pretty much if anyone has gotten these things to work 100% for OoT or Paper Mario? And does anyone know why menus in particular causes so much problems?

Pyromanik

I don't remember having any issues with OOT using Jabo's D3D8
I was using default settings.
The only thing I can think of that was (/am) different is that I was using "Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (V1.2)".

Here is a screenshot:
OOTmenu.png

I have encountered the problem you're talking about... however I think I was using Project64 v1.5 at that time.

Last edited:
OP
W

wolpelido

Thanks for the replies guys.
Some updates:

Pyromanik, I tried your version and the menu still looks the same. Other than that it seems to work fine though. The map however is rendered correctly, just checked on my n64.

Agozer, I tried it but it just crashed my game once I opened the menu (more specifically when I entered the "equip" screen with the link model). Seems unfortunately like the plugin doesn't work well on non-voodoo cards.

Another thing that I noted just now when I play on my TV (with n64) a long with the emulator is that on the TV there seems to be this bloom effect. I'm currently running around in Kokiri Forest and if I take the shop house as an example, some parts of it are more "light" than others (not in a weird way, it looks good). The "opening" to the Deku Tree also has this light effect. The emulator does not render these and everything looks much more "dull" in comparison. Another thing (or it might be the same thing) is that the colors on the TV are much more sharp. The grass for example is much more "colorful".

Just some random notes that I found interesting. :)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Agozer, I tried it but it just crashed my game once I opened the menu (more specifically when I entered the "equip" screen with the link model). Seems unfortunately like the plugin doesn't work well on non-voodoo cards.
Glide64 works perfectly well on non-Voodoo graphics cards thanks to the included Glide wrapper. There would be very little point in just releasing a plugin that only uses an outdated and outphased API to push graphics - one that prominent cards haven't supported in ages.

However there can be many reasons why the plugin doesn't work properly in some systems:

1. Your graphics card has inadequate OpenGL support
2. Your graphics card is missing some function/feature that is needed by the plugin. Running the tester that comes with the plugin might shed some light into this.
3. Your graphics cards drivers are either outdated or not very good to begin with.
4. It's one of those many issues that are impossible to trace, starting from your overall system configuration, OS drivers, etc. etc.

Last edited:

darkmischief

I, too am having strange rendering problems:
Any ideas? Oh and how do you do the plugin diagnostics?
Using the 'debug mode?'

Thanks alot!

Untitled.png