What's new

choppy at 1900x1080 resolution

brentonbrenton

I have a computer hooked up to our HDTV, and it always played fine when we connected it through S-Video. We have to connect it with a regular VGA cable now though, and that is causing problems because it won't fill the screen at any resolution except full HD 1900x1080. In other words, it does not zoom smaller resolutions to fit the whole screen.

My crappy computer and graphics card is choppy and slooow now that I set it to the full resolution. I think it would work if there were some way to render the game at 400x300 and then zoom it to full screen instead of rendering it at the full resolution.

I have been looking through the graphics configurations and can't find any settings that improve anything. I can't find a place to set the framerate or skip frames or anything. Is there a way to skip every other frame to make it run faster? Do I have any options other than playing on a tiny 3 inch by 4inch square on my 30" TV?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There is no such this as frameskip in Project64. You can disable the framelimiter to make the emulator run as fast as it possibly can on your computer, but that's isn't very desirable, either.

OP
B

brentonbrenton

TV's and monitors usually have some kind of built in zoom support.
I suggest you try playing with your TV rather than your computer.

OMG OMG OMG I am an idiot! You are so right. All I had to do was press the "Zoom" button on my TV and it worked. Thanks!

Pyromanik

meh, use a tv card with dscaler.

so... you recommend outputting from the graphics card through s-video back into a second computer through the TV card, stretching out the resolution with dscaler and then outputting from the second computer through VGA onto the TV?

what?

OMG OMG OMG I am an idiot! You are so right. All I had to do was press the "Zoom" button on my TV and it worked. Thanks!

:)

Last edited:

Pyromanik

Still somewhat inefficient as it requires a tv card and either a second computer or a nasty amount of fiddling.
And then the knowledge to set up and use dscaler.

As compared to pressing a button on the remote control.

Mantorok

Why not check if there's flat panel scaling options in your display adapter's drivers? It's a great way to avoid old PC games stretching on widescreen panels too.