What's new

F-Zero X issue

jjx87

hey im playing fzero x on project 64. and ive noticed that its not as smooth as when im playing on the regular n64 system. i calibrated the controller many times but nothing. on a game like fzero smoothness is required. when i slowly tap the joystick it doesnt turn accordingly whereas as in the real system it does. is there anything i can do to make playing fzero on project 64 exactly like i would on the n64? maybe a different video plugin?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
F-Zero X works just fine with the default graphics plugin. Are you using the PAL or the NTSC version of the game? Are you sing anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing?

OP
J

jjx87

um what exactly is PAL and NTSC? and what does anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing mean? lol not really familiar with these terms

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
PAL, with 50Hz refresh, is the television standard used in Europe and in some other parts of the world. NTSC, with 60hz refresh rate, is mainly used in North America, Canada and Japan. You can determine the region of the M by lookng at the Rom Browser or starting a game a looking at the fps / VIs counter at the bottom right corner of the window.

The main difference between PAL and NTSC is that PAL games generally run 17% slower than their NTSC counterparts, thanks to this 10hz difference.

Anisotropic filtering is a technique used in computer graphics to make minute details that are far away from the camera appear sharper (basically it determines what kind of filtering is used on the visible textures). Anti-aliasing in turn is a technique to reduces the "jagginess" of computer graphics (aliasing). Both of these can be enabled/disabled and adjusted in PJ64 graphics plugin configuration window. Having these enabled can affect performance if your video can is older and your computer is relatively slow.

Last edited:

Pyromanik

Could be one of two things:

Either:
Your system can't handle the pressure put on it by the emulation.
What are your system specs?
Which graphics plugin are you using?
Is it on default settings, or have you tried to tweak it?

Or:
something's up with the deadzone, etc. on your controller.
What do you use?
With which plugin?

OP
J

jjx87

yea i found that it was the deadzone of the controller that i had to adjust. it was on a default 25% so i lowered it a little bit to make it like the n64. thx