What's new

Zelda OoT. Deadzone manipulation sans a controller?

Golbez

So, I don't have a controller readily available, and I can only move my cursor in fixed increments, and have come to the conclusion that this is determined by the deadzone setting. Though I seem to get the impression that I cannot adjust the deadzone unless I am using a controller? Is this the case? Is there a plugin solution to this, so that I might adjust the deadzone for my keyboard? I have plowed halfway through this game, and come to a spot that is impossible for me to target because of the deadzone business. I have merged two images upon one another so that you may enjoy my dilemma, fully at my expense:

remedylw6.png

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd love to be able to beat this game. Some 8 years ago, I got stuck on the Blue Temple before my file was erased. I don't know what the game is like after that. Many thanks.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What controller plugin are you using? With the N-Rage plugin you can change the range of the analog stick, which can help you with you problem.

All things considered though, you should never play N64 games with a keyboard. Ever.

Last edited:
OP
G

Golbez

Sweet, it worked. Thanks a ton! I thought I was going to have to ditch all my progress and just can the game entirely. :(

I was using the Jabo default plugin for PJ64. And I'm a bit new with emulation and have never used a controller for anything PC related. I guess I should look up some sort of newbie guide, but I've been able to use the keyboard fairly satisfactorily with my awesome wasd skills :D

Can you use a traditional n64 controller? I guess you'd need some sort of extension. Unless there are generic controllers you can use plugins with, that use the USB ports. Well, I'm half interested now. Can you sell me on it? :) (and thanks again!)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Any PC controller should work fine as long as it is properly detected by Windows. Of course you'd want one that has at least one analog stick and enough buttons (and why not rumble too). A traditional N64 controller will also work, but you need an USB adapter to go with that.

Last edited:

effing

I have had success modding original xbox controllers to a usb output using this guide http://www.fury-tech.com/en/Guides/Xbox-Controller-PC-Conversion-Mod for pc games.

I have not tested them on an emulator but I don't see why they wouldn't work. This is a great way to get a pc controller for under $10 as opposed to a xbox360 controller for $30. I plan on making another one soon and I will confirm that it works properly, unless someone else can do so before me.

dragonflame2239

There's always the lazy way.

Options-> Configure Controller Plugin-> Reduce the bar where it says "Range" from 100 to 10. You won't be able to walk, but you can very accurately pin-point a location with your hookshot/bow/whatever, use it, then when you're done, re-change it back from 10 to 100. That's what I did at least.