What's new

Glide 64 Wonder Plus Slowdown

Hippy Tesla

*****fest
With Jabo's D3D8 1.6, games run fine but there are some minor graphic issues. I get much better results with Glide 64 Wonder Plus. But, it scales some parts of some games to N64's native resolution, no matter which resolution is set. For example, Link's status picture in OoT or Majora's Mask intro.

When I turn on the option "HW Frame Buffer Emulation", this doesn't happen (as stated in plugin help) but there is a terrible slowdown encountered when these now non scaled images appear.

Could it be because of my onboard video card? Would a new card help? And is there a list of cards supporting this feature?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Integrated chips aren't good enough to run Glide64 with hardware framebuffer emulation. Get an actual video video card.

OP
Hippy Tesla

Hippy Tesla

*****fest
I am going to get one anyway, I have plenty resons for that. I just hope that it will fix this problem more then others.

mudlord88

Banned
Also, the Glide64 version you are using is out of date.

We are up to Glide64 Napalm 1.1, with a Linux port on the way. :shifty:

Integrated chips aren't good enough to run Glide64 with hardware framebuffer emulation. Get an actual video video card.

Bzzzt. Wrong. Most integrated (or even normal) video chips don't support framebuffer objects. (only ones that support OpenGL 1.5 and up) However, it is possible to use a technique that doesn't use FBOs and works on all cards. Thats in the newest Glide64 Napalm versions, though........

OP
Hippy Tesla

Hippy Tesla

*****fest
This is the first time I've heard of Glide 64 Napalm. I'm on my way to get it. Thank you brothers peasents!

EDIT: I think my card supports OGL 2, maybe I'm wrong. But with such a lame card I run even games like Silent Hill: Homecoming with a minimal slowdown. You have my PC specs on my profile page.

EDIT: I have just ran the test tool, my card DOES support Framebuffer Objects, the only unsupported thing is FXT1 Texture Compression.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
However, it is possible to use a technique that doesn't use FBOs and works on all cards. Thats in the newest Glide64 Napalm versions, though........
Oh it is? thanks for letting me know. A friend of mine will probably thank you a few hundred times for that info.

Tesla: You should really update both Glide64 and the Glide wrapper, since the test tool clearly shows that your chip supports FBOs (and other features, minus the FXT1 part).

Last edited:
OP
Hippy Tesla

Hippy Tesla

*****fest
Thannks, I did. No bugs, no missing screens, almost as perfect as on a real N64. Here and there there are flickering problems (Quake II, RE2) but everything else works perfectly.

I simply turn on FBO in plugin settings and turn it off in wrapper settings. Runs like Road runner! XD