What's new

Graphical errors

hellomexico

I've been having a few problems with the emulator. While playing Mario 64 Mario has no shadow. While playing Pokemon Snap the still pictures at the end of each course won't show up on my screen. Is there something I can do to fix stuff like this?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Pokemon Snap has issues; namely framebuffer-related. Enabled Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM to see the pictures, although the gameplay will slow down to a crawl.

Computer specs please.

Last edited:
OP
H

hellomexico

Pokemaon Snap has issues; namely framebuffer-related. Enabled Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM to see the pictures, although the gameplay will slow down to a crawl.

Computer specs please.

Acer Aspire 5610z

Windows Vista

Intel Core 2 CPU

2038 MB of RAM

Display Device Mobile Intel 945gm Express Chipset Family

Chip Type: Intel GMA 950

Realtek High Definition Audio

*Not sure if the bottom information is useful. I don't really know much about my sound or graphics card or how to get any info that I can't get by running dxdiag.*

!REVENGE!

Intel onboard graphics chips don't support 3D textures, you'll need to get a better video card. Are you on a laptop?

Agozer

Intel graphics chips do support 3D textures. If they didn't, you wouldn't see any textures onscreen. It's just that they fail hard with 3D emulators because of the lack of needed features.

OP: Use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin.

Last edited:
OP
H

hellomexico

Intel graphic chips do support 3D textures. If they didn't, you wouldn't see any textures onscreen. It's just that they fail hard with 3D emulators because of the lack of needed features.

OP: Use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin.

I switched to that plugin and I'm still not getting Mario's shadow. The sun painted on the floor of the first room in the castle disappears when i get close to it as well. On top of that games like Conker are making my computer restart during video sequences.

Agozer

Conker is one of those games that require more from the graphics hardware. With chips/cards that have insufficient features and/or bad drivers, you'll get issues like the one you're having.

Anyway, make sure that you have the latest graphics drivers from Intel installed - Intel's chips should work with the Direct3D6 plugin without terrible problems.

Last edited:

!REVENGE!

Intel graphic chips do support 3D textures. If they didn't, you wouldn't see any textures onscreen. It's just that they fail hard with 3D emulators because of the lack of needed features.

No, they just use a couple hardware hacks that extrapolates the 2D framework into what results in somewhat functional 3D rendering, so you will see some textures but run into problems like the OP's reporting. Or so a friend who helped me with installing my new video card said.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
!Revenge!, don't take everything your friends say as proof, check google yourself and do your own research, that way you don't end up posting incorrect information.

Last edited:

Agozer

So basically an upgraded video card should solve most of, if not all, my problems?
Yes, that's about it. It doesn't even have to be a particularly powerful card. A card released in 2004 and onwards should do just fine.

Last edited:

mudlord88

Banned
Intel graphic chips do support 3D textures. If they didn't, you wouldn't see any textures onscreen.

No, they just use a couple hardware hacks that extrapolates the 2D framework into what results in somewhat functional 3D rendering

!Revenge!, stop posting complete bullshit.

Indeed. The amount of bullshit in this thread is killing me x.x

All we are talking about here is the copying of the current screen (or portions of the screen) into offscreen 2D texture/frame buffers.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
[nitpick]My circa-1999 NVIDIA RIVA renders N64 graphics well.[/nitpick]

The nvidia Geforce series was the first to support TnL, Detonator 20 and 30 allowed the TnT's to use software TnL, however these drivers will not install on SP2 or higher since the driver pops up a OS compatibility error.

The MX4x0 series is TnL capable, and from Detonator 30 to the release of Detonator 50 they were capable of emulating certain Dx8 shaders, which is why these cards used to run Jabo's Dx8 fine.

Last edited:

!REVENGE!

The nvidia Geforce series was the first to support TnL, so a Riva TNT definitely does not render either the D3D6 or 8 plugins well.

TNT2*, the only anomaly I noticed was white pathways instead of brown in OoT (I didn't even know this was a rendering error until I got my new one.) Oh yeah and Majoras mask lacked the 'blur' effects and had occasional geometric disorientation with close-up sprites.

the hell am I even talkin about, I trashed that card...