What's new

Impossible for 56k dialup

LDAsh

(-im) Possible for 56k dialup

Since last time (a few months ago now) I cannot download the ~2.5MB Project64 beta, simply because of some bandwidth-saving time-out thing on the server. On my connection, roughly 3-4KB/s, it takes about 10-15 minutes to download that, however the server seems to time-out well within that timeframe leaving me with a useless corrupt ZIP. It's only 2.5MB!!!

Okay, so I'm not angry, but I do wish to strongly suggest either they remove this ridiculous broadband-only setup, or warn those on 56k dialup that it will be impossible to download even 2MB.

Sad state of affairs. And please don't give me any "well just get broadband" comments, I live in South Australia, I'm not paying $150 monthy for what is only slightly better than I already have. Thanks.

Last edited:

zilmar

Emulator Developer
there is nothing that should be stopping this.. there is nothing that would stop you downloading the binary on a 56k dialup connection .. the files should be 2.38 MB (2,506,625 bytes). How much do you get, is it possible that your ISP has some type of proxy/cache. If it does and it has a corrupt file in it will keep reserving you the same file.

I would have thought in SA you could get decent broad band for like $50-60 a month ? You some where not near the CBD ?

ThomasH

Hello, If you PM me on the official PJ64 Beta forum I should be able to help you. But there is a possibility if your not getting your Beta from the official website its just a duff copy.

OP
L

LDAsh

Thanks for the replies, but I did try pretty much everything I could, before my post.

I tried it with my firewall and antivirus all turned off. I tried it with IE7, Firefox, Opera (and Maxthon now). I checked some other sites/downloads, so I'm sure it's not my ISP. The download times-out, I'm sure of it. In about 2 minutes. I know this is a common bandwidth optimising tactic, to prevent resumes and time-out longer connections, but this is at the expense of slower connections, sadly.

And yeah I'm sure I could get this file elsewhere, but I'd rather do the right thing and help support the emu.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Do you know if you get some type of error message.. There might be some type of setting in apache I can set... I just have no idea where to start looking.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
I tried it with my firewall and antivirus all turned off. I tried it with IE7, Firefox, Opera (and Maxthon now). I checked some other sites/downloads, so I'm sure it's not my ISP. The download times-out, I'm sure of it. In about 2 minutes. I know this is a common bandwidth optimising tactic, to prevent resumes and time-out longer connections, but this is at the expense of slower connections, sadly.

Doesn't mean anything, i can download beta's when im capped to 64k and thats only 8k more then 56k, Your ISP can still be at fault.

X-Fi6

I meant, AOL and Maxthon ARE IE-based. They use whatever version of Internet Explorer you have dominant on your computer (for the record, you know you _can_ have both IE6 and IE7, and both IE7 and IE8, on the same machine).

Clements

Back when I was on dial-up, I used a standalone download manager/resumer (Getright) to reduce this problem. It could help in your case.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Back when I was on dial-up, I used a standalone download manager/resumer (Getright) to reduce this problem. It could help in your case.

We do not support resume. I was looking in to that, so that is the main benefit of get right. The second problem with getright was that it did not have the abilility to add the necessary cookie to be able to download it. With the way sessions work to stop them being spoofed not sure it is even possible.

OP
L

LDAsh

Thanks for your attention Zilmar, whatever you did, it did the trick! Didn't time-out this time, thank you very much! :D