That awkward guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Save state glitch with a game (Gimmick! / Mr. Gimmick)

For some odd reason, when loading save states while playing Gimmick!, it instantly drops all health to zero, killing your character. I have tried this on Jnes 1.0 and the new 1.0.1, both did the same.

I tried other emulators and the save states worked on them.

I am not sure about this, but I think it somehow might be related to the fact that Gimmick! uses the FME-7 mapper. It adds a couple of extra sound channels (three square waves, to be exact) and as far as I know, Jnes doesn't yet have compatibility with FME-7.

I would say that the incompatibility would be related to the save stating issue, but I'm avoiding not to assume that, since I don't even know if Jnes is or is not compatible with it.

To my knowledge, there is only two games that use this chip, this one and Batman: Return of the Joker. Batman: Return of the Joker does not have the same problem with Jnes though, but I don't think it uses the extra sound channels either.

I think this is a good stopping point for my droning for now. If anybody's got answers, I'd appreciate it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    thats a japanese game, is it not? if so, Jnes doesn't work with all Jap games as Jabo made jnes with English releases more in mind.

Yes some j versions will work, but alot of them just don't properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bippo Ernesti View Post
    For some odd reason, when loading save states while playing Gimmick!, it instantly drops all health to zero, killing your character. I have tried this on Jnes 1.0 and the new 1.0.1, both did the same.

I tried other emulators and the save states worked on them.

I am not sure about this, but I think it somehow might be related to the fact that Gimmick! uses the FME-7 mapper. It adds a couple of extra sound channels (three square waves, to be exact) and as far as I know, Jnes doesn't yet have compatibility with FME-7.

I would say that the incompatibility would be related to the save stating issue, but I'm avoiding not to assume that, since I don't even know if Jnes is or is not compatible with it.

To my knowledge, there is only two games that use this chip, this one and Batman: Return of the Joker. Batman: Return of the Joker does not have the same problem with Jnes though, but I don't think it uses the extra sound channels either.

I think this is a good stopping point for my droning for now. If anybody's got answers, I'd appreciate it!
    This is a weird bug I have to admit, easily reproducible as well which is always a good and bad thing

Let me add it to my bug list and we'll see what happens, no work around at the moment unfortunately tho, at least it wasn't a regression from 1.0.1 it was also broken in 1.0

http://jabosoft.com/index.php?articleid=25
    Last edited by Jabo; September 21st, 2008 at 18:54.

That awkward guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
    thats a japanese game, is it not? if so, Jnes doesn't work with all Jap games as Jabo made jnes with English releases more in mind.

Yes some j versions will work, but alot of them just don't properly.
    I tried it on the Japanese version (Gimmick!) as well as the European one (Mr. Gimmick), both of them had the problem. I even tried searching for an American release of it, but it turned out that it's only been released in JP and EU.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well Jabo has looked and maybe he can fix it