What's new

Best N64 -2- player games?

orbaloo

I know there are plenty of great N64 games that can be played on the excellent Project 64, but what do people think are the best 2 (or more) player games? The wife and I have just about exhausted Diddy Kong Racing and I'm in need of ideas. It helps if it's got cute characters - for the wife, not me, of course :)

Thanks!

:pj64:

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
there is not a single shred of doubt, that Gauntlet Legends is the best 2 player game of the N64 (i tried almost all) 1 of the only games that lets you play a cooperative game through a great RPG. unfortunately for you even if you will do the (nerve racking) workAround it will still be very slow with your specs.

OP
orbaloo

orbaloo

Smiff, yeah - played Mario Kart (not a patch on Diddy or SNES/GBA Mario Kart, though, IMHO). She might like Mickey's Speedway - haven't played it but it looks OK and it's a Rare game after all :)

Super Smash Bros. is a good one!

Ogy what kind of specs do you need to run Gauntlet Legends?

Haven't looked at Conkers BFD 2 player - the 1 player game is cool, so will check it out.

Thanks peeps!

Moonlight

The reason why a P4 is considered "low-spec" is because the P4 architecture relies heavily on code path predictibility (the P4 is optimized for "streaming" or highly sequential instructions) while the very nature of CPU emulation is very unpredictible in general.

So, the combination of the two means that a P4 will run into tons of cache/branch mis-predictions, in turn causing severe performance degradation.

Plain : for non-linear code, a P4 behaves like a much slower P3/Athlon. Under worst-case scenarios, a P4 behaves roughly like a half-speed P3.

(this is why several hardware review sites say that the P4 is the most controversial chip ever from Intel... one step forward, two steps back.)

Last edited: