What's new

Mupen64plus Program Icon

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
As mentioned in another post, I finally got around to remaking a vector version of the Mupen64 icon. I added a plus and put it under an appropriate license (GPL / CCsa 3.0 - with the hope of vector source being kept GPL and rasterizations being CC as applying the GPL to artwork is unclear at best).

Here's my first draft:

mupen64plus.png

And a link to the SVG since I know it can be improved. http://sknauert.web.wesleyan.edu/mupen64plus.svg

Toasty

Sony battery
Looks pretty good - I like it a lot better with the plus. How does it scale to smaller sizes?

OP
T

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Thanks.

I think it scales fairly well. Here's the 32x32, i.e for a program icon:
mupen64plus32.png

It also looks good in a window decorator at 16x16 (but due to my remote server having issues, I haven't uploaded yet)

Here's another icon I've been working on. Our 32x32 shell integration icon:
mupen64cart32.png

And it's 15x15 version (used for demos and Betas in the rombrowser):
mupen64cart16.png

Unless anyone has any big objections, I want to commit these to help overcome our license issues.

OP
T

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Yea, its clear I made the icon for my KDE3 desktop. One of the reasons I wanted an SVG was so we could customize it for different environments.

CrispyXUK: I really like the lighting effects on yours. I probably should add something similar on mine. If you add a radial gradient inside the lighting curves, you can really make the icon shinny. The basic curves should probably be on in all desktops, but the added effects might be restricted to OSX.

As far as Tango! goes, I agree it needs some tweaking. The main icon is technically in the on the desk perspective. If I dull down the colors, and change the lighting angle, it should fit in with GNOME a little better.

The cart icon is technically the third perspective in the Tango! spec., although the colors are not and most would argue a flat perspective would be better for a document type.

OP
T

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Lol. Don't take that the wrong way. I just mean each desktop environment has different UI guidelines. For example, one won't put a somewhat dull looking Tango! spec. icon on an OSX desktop since it would look rightfully out of place next to the native icons on that system.

I had considered having multiple icons with a sensible default for each system. Ideally all relatively similar to prevent "diluting the brand," etc. In practice this will likely mean a handful of renders from likely the same SVG source with a simlink setup during install. Think icons/mupen64plus -> icon/mupen64plus.tango in GNOME and icons/mupen64plus -> icon/mupen64plus.crystal in KDE.

However, right now we really lack the dev power to worry about desktop integration. There's a lot of license, GUI, and general cleanup that needs to be done that's higher priority. Heck, first we need to get the OSX port working. :)

Last edited: