What's new

Most Stable Emulator Setup for Banjo Tooie, and Paper Mario

Austindwilson07

Hey guys, just wondering if you all had some suggestions for the most stable setup I can get for running my two favorite N64 games: Banjo Tooie, and Paper Mario.

Before you ask, I have all up to date drivers for everything, and the OS is fully up to date as well.

The only non-default plug-in I am using is Glide64 Napalm 1.0 which isn't that bad.

And when I mean most stable, I mean the least graphical glitches, bugs, and errors.

I also heard of unofficial RDB's and I was wondering if they are reliable, and where I get them because Pj64 hasn't released another for some time :angry:

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Wow, that was a misleading thread title.
I actually haven't had much trouble with these games. Banjo Tooie was pretty good, the only problems I had was an opcode error when near the (I think) cable room in Grunty Industries. It was definitely Grunty Industries though.
Paper Mario I haven't played very much at all, but I noticed no problems whatsoever as far as I played (wasn't far at all). To this day I'm confused by people posting, having problems with the game.

OP
A

Austindwilson07

How was the topic title misleading to you?

Banjo Tooie's main problem is the random freezing.
And Paper Mario's is graphical glitching and a couple other errors.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
The topic title was misleading in that I thought you were going to post your config for a stable setup, not ask for one. :p

Also, this is a very generic answer and I haven't tried it at all, but did you try Glide64 Napalm for Paper Mario?

Toasty

Sony battery
True it's old, but given that there haven't been any new versions of the pertinent N64 emulators since it was written, a lot of the information is still pretty applicable. ;)

A.I.

Banned
indeed it is but im wondering with a intel duo 2 core with high end graphic card, fast hd give more enuff grunt to stop freezing

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Banjo-Tooie is a nightmare. Visually, it's perfect with the new Glide64, but I still get random freezes. For complete stability you have to ditch PJ64 and run 1964 0.8.5 with a fresh eeprom save. Use Jabo's D3D6 1.5.2 as the graphics plugin and the PJ64 RSP + Azimer's audio. That should eliminate the freezing.

Occam

I'm using the latest Glide64 Napalm with p64 1.6 for Paper Mario, and it crashes as soon as it loads. My graphics card is Mobile Intel 965 Chipset Family and I'm using Vista. All the other graphics plugins are giving me MAD headaches from all the damn flickering. Jabo's is decent but it has mad flicker and meters don't display at all. gIN64 displays meters but has equal flicker (maybe even more) and freezing issues. Daedalus is just broken. Help would be very much appreciated!

Edit: lol Daedalus flooded Yoshi's Village

yoshifloodfs6.jpg

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
A Mobile Intel chip is not good enough to run Glide64, and yes, Jabo's Direct3D plugins have mad flicker in Paper Mario. You will not get any help, since there is none to give. Glide64 Napalm is currently the only plugin that will work properly with Paper Mario under Project64 1.6

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Banjo Tooie runs perfectly fine in Windows XP, with the latest unofficial RDB, no freezes, no problems. with all default plugins.

anyone getting issues should check they aren't running an application which interferes with in memory modification.