Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BMD plugin for 3D studio max. Imports bones, skinning, animations and vertex colors.

Hi,

I've made a plugin for 3D studio max based on thakis's BmdView2 code that might be of interest to some of you. Check the readme.txt file for further details.

http://rapidshare.com/files/11742800..._Beta.zip.html
    Last edited by Coder; May 25th, 2008 at 08:54.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "This plugin imports bones, skined meshes, vertex colors, creates a character assembly and exports the animations."

wow! finally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, that looks like great work :-)

I only browsed through the source, though; I don't have 3d studio. Would anyone care to post a few screenshots?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, I haven't done much testing on this yet so theres probably still a few errors. I just noticed that animations with zero length create an error.
    I also extract the animations from the ../bck/FILENAME*.bck path but it looks like this isn't always correct. The bone length might also be incorrect in some cases but it shouldn't affect the skinning or animations.

screenshots
    http://rapidshare.com/files/117467059/bmdImage.zip.html

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've added an update to fix an animation exporting bug but it looks like the start position are still a bit off for some bck files. I also changed it to search for animations in the ../bck and ../bcks folders without requiring the filename prefix.

http://rapidshare.com/files/11771608...ta_02.zip.html

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I've just added some bug fixes.
    • Animations can now use scaling.
    • Start position should be ok.
    • Added yaz1 decryption.
    • Fixed skinning (issue with root bone)
    • Changed install method.

I still need to add btp file support and Mat support (Minda's animated hair color).

I also tried merging some characters and animations. In the images below the mask and large hand (scale animation is from the hair bones) are added to Minda by aligning them to the matching bones and then setting the parent link.

MaxBMD_Beta_03.zip

Mupen64Plus Dev.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, that looks pretty damn good. I have to go check this out in Windows sometime.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You are... Incredible, just incredible!
    *tries out*
    Oh, and isn't Midna's hair vertex colored?

edit: I tried it out with the TWW models, but I get dissapointing results... Firstly, the model is imported as one figure, the bones are imported as polygons, atleast after exporting to 3ds and importing to maya... Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by Fluesopp; June 1st, 2008 at 18:59.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I originally created a separate mesh for each texture like BmdView2 and then applied skinning to each mesh. It looks like some of the vertexes are shared (face and eyes) and it's really one mesh with multiple textures. It ended up being easier to create one mesh and use one material with multiple textures.

To select each element group go to "Editable Mesh / Element" modifier and select each item.
    To select face groups by the texture used go to "Editable Mesh / Polygon". Open the "Surface Properties" rollout and use the "Select ID" button.
    You could use the "Detach" button to create new meshes but it will affect the skinning. I might add a checkbox in the UI to extract each material as a separate mesh but it might take a few weeks (low priority).

I haven't used Maya before but it sounds like the exporter doesn't support bones / skins. If you export it as a Maya file and import it back into 3ds max does it still have bones? Maybe another Maya exporter is required.

I currently save the animations as *.anm files for use in the character assembly. This makes it easier for me to manager the animations and also allows them to be applied to other characters e.g. Sword fighting Minda. I'm not sure how Maya uses animations and what the best format would be. Would it help if I just load all animations one after another (might be useful for panda *.x exporter)?

Thanks for the tip about the hair, I'll check that out first.
    Last edited by Coder; June 2nd, 2008 at 08:06.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok... I will check on it some more. I haven't used 3DS, so I don't exactly know how it operates, and it might very well be that it's operating in a quite different way than maya.
    But one question, do I have to rename the bdl files to bmd to be able to use them, or will they not work properly then?
    Also, are the bones rigged to the models? So if I move a bone, will the model follow?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast