What's new

Who wants to help with a osx port?

Pyromanik

Don't forget to run ./mupen64plus from the compilation directory.

If you have a systemwide install (like I do) then it can be easy to make the mistake of running the wrong version and wondering why your changes don't seem to have changed anything.... doh! xD

Slougi

The Qt4 gui doesn't currently work correctly on the mac. There were issues with integrating SDL and Qt. Now that Qt 4.5 supports cocoa this can probably be solved... Unfortunately I don't have access to a mac anymore.

Slougi

i could test for you? Or is the testing process via "bugreports" too much off effort?

It's really difficult to write code "blind", especially for platforms you aren't intimately familiar with. It can be done, but frankly I'm just not that interested. Sorry.

Pyromanik

There are a couple who come in every now and again, but never seem to stick around for that long.
But that perhaps doesn't mean they're not developing in their spare time without being in channel.

So who knows really.
But I'd expect very slow progress unless someone else comes to help.

Shame, wish I could help somehow, but I have no coding skills at all.

Would it be worth getting rid of the rom browser and just using the taskbar menus?

Pyromanik

What?

Oh, right. MacOS windowing layout.

Well no, the rom browser (and caching system these days) are far more user friendly for opening roms and giving information on which ones work well, etc.

Plus it puts something visual on the screen, which is always a plus.

And as far as I know the rom system is not an issue at all, besides the windowing toolkit bit.
I'm not really sure about the stage of the port with the rest of the emulator.
Of course, there's no reason one can't test it by compiling with GUI=NONE
But for that matter one could do ANOTHER GUI with a MacOS toolkit if they really wanted to.

Last edited:

Pyromanik

Well, unless it's not backwards compatible (highly unlikely) I'd imagine the same code can be compiled with Qt4.5 and run fine on MacOS.

Auria

Are there no developers on board for the mac side of things now then?

i thing there is only auria on the mac side of things

There are a couple who come in every now and again, but never seem to stick around for that long.
But that perhaps doesn't mean they're not developing in their spare time without being in channel.

So who knows really.
But I'd expect very slow progress unless someone else comes to help.

Hey there,

I haven't given up, I'm still interested in the mac port ;) mupen works qyuite well on mac at the moment, it's only the GUI acting up. I don't have much hopes of fixing the current GTK gui with the way mupen is currently designed, that would require refactors that mupen project leaders don't seem to want (or they disagree within themselves); so the best hope is the Qt GUI, but for this there's little I can do, because I know next to nothing about Qt, so I just let the Qt-GUI author continue. Also we're waiting on the next Qt version, which uses Cocoa and will hopefully play better with SDL (is it released yet? maybe, didn't check in a while :) EDIT: I see it is, but 186 Mb?? ouch...)

Last edited:

Shin_Gouki

wow that sounds nice ;)
Yeah i have tried some things too with QT on my mac. Is QT vastly diffrent from GTK?

well any way i'm looking forward to your next ( mac) release ;)

Auria

Yeah i have tried some things too with QT on my mac. Is QT vastly diffrent from GTK?

Technically they're quite different as they're written in different languages. From a user point of view, the only difference is one of skinning (Qt uses a native OS X theme + some native components, though in the future GTK+ will probably use a native mac theme too on OS X, so this difference would go away anyway

Mr VacBob

I'm still alive (I make sure to check all my dead projects once a year…) but the GUI threads thing is just a bit too much work for me. It might be useful to host it as an OpenEmu core once that's more mature - I think it expects everything to output a 2D texture at the moment.

I'm guessing if I build this all these libraries expecting X11+OpenGL won't work...

Last edited: