Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N64 N64 Controller Setup

I'm a NOOB to emulators, I have gotten my NES and SNES to work but I am having a problem with N64. I have the Project64 emulator and have purchased a PSX+N64 USB Converter from ZTNet along with a controller off e-Bay. When I attempt the controller setup, it gives me error messages, such as "Sorry the input selection made is already in use". If I start a ROM, the game goes haywire as if I'm repeatedly pressing the start button or something. Any advice? Thank you.

• Advertising

advertising
      EmuTalk.net
      has no influence
      on the ads that
      are displayed

Voted Least Likely to Succeed p_025's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That adaptor is a cheap piece of garbage. It only works with certain N64 controllers, so I use it for PSX controllers only these days.
    Go into your control panel and open the Game Controllers panel. Open the correct controller, and if everything's going nuts in there, you have an incompatible controller.
    Can't figure out how to build Dolphin-emu anymore. So here's this instead: Free Microsoft points (and other crap) courtesy of Bing. Work the system!

Desktop:
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 (4 cores @3.1GHz) | RAM: 8GiB total DDR3 | Video: NVidia GeForce GTX550Ti | Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N64 Recommendation?

Thanks. I went to the Control Panel and everything looks OK. I tried a PS2 controller and same thing. Is PSX different than PS2? Is there an adaptor, controller, or adaptor-controller combo you recommend to use with the Project64 emulator?

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The PS2 controller has analog buttons, the PSX controller does not.

If you want a controller, go with controllers that have the same button layout as a PSX controller. I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2 myself and it works perfectly.

For an adapter-controller combo, obviously the best choice for N64 would be an Adaptoid and a real N64 controller.
    Last edited by Agozer; April 13th, 2008 at 22:28.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    HEY!!
    I spent all my life thinking that PSX meant PS1/2/3... As in, people write "Compatible with SomeRandomThing V0.3X" for some programs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    or if you have a PS3 or wired 360 controller, you can use that.

a good control scheme that I use is this (for 360):
    (N64 on left, 360 on right)

A - A
    B - B
    vC - X
    ^C - Y
    <C - LB
    >C - RB
    Z - LT
    R - RT
    L - Back
    Start - Start

And obviously the d-pad to the d-pad and the main analog to the left analog.
    (note for some games, you'd want to swap the Z and L placement, and you can swap the position of vC and B if you want the N64 button positions)

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac View Post
    or if you have a PS3 or wired 360 controller, you can use that.

a good control scheme that I use is this (for 360):
    (N64 on left, 360 on right)

A - A
    B - B
    vC - X
    ^C - Y
    <C - LB
    >C - RB
    Z - LT
    R - RT
    L - Back
    Start - Start

And obviously the d-pad to the d-pad and the main analog to the left analog.
    (note for some games, you'd want to swap the Z and L placement, and you can swap the position of vC and B if you want the N64 button positions)
    360 works marvelously me and several others swear by it rather than having some silly adaptoid.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use my PS3 controller. I had a little trouble getting it to work at first but then used the sixaxis driver and it works great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the Cordless Rumblepad 2. Works like a dream.
    Asus M2N-E SLI
    AMD X2 6000+
    2gigs Corsair XMS2
    8800 GTS 512
    Vista Home Premium 32

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have the cordless rumblepad as well. I just started to try and play N64 Legend of Zelda. I go to "Configure Controller Plugins" put have been having some trouble. I can program the left joy stick to move me around and I can program the start button and the A and B buttons, but I try to program the 4 C buttons and they don't seem to do anything. I'd appreciate it if you had any advices. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast