What's new

Teasers: Gameshark =)

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
what needs to be done to import pj64 cheats? if it is not programming related i could try doing it . perhaps the file needs to be rewrite?
Depends on what the pj64 cheats file looks like. Could you upload it or post it in code tags?

OP
O

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I'll ask for permission to use the files. I'll let the dev. team know what the deal is.

bgn

if the permission is not gpl-compatible then it means nothing because you wont be able to pack it with mupen64plus, perhaps the 1.4 file could be used? anyway i hope they grant permission

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
if the permission is not gpl-compatible then it means nothing because you wont be able to pack it with mupen64plus, perhaps the 1.4 file could be used? anyway i hope they grant permission
Looking at the file format, it would be trivial to write a script that converted it to our cheat file format. So the only issue really is the licensing issue. Does the license still apply if we change the file to the mupen64plus format? I guess it comes down to whether the pj64 guys came up with those cheat codes or did they get them from some external source? If they're from an external source, then I don't see why we couldn't use them, but we might have to type them in manually. Dammit Jim, I'm a coder, not a lawyer. :borg:

DarkJezter

One thing that the pj64 system supports that we may want to consider are cheats that have subtle variations. A good example would be a cheat to get items in Zelda, instead of each being coded as separate cheats, project64 can give you a drop-down menu to switch between different items.

I know that combo-cheats are specially coded in the project64 file format.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
One thing that the pj64 system supports that we may want to consider are cheats that have subtle variations. A good example would be a cheat to get items in Zelda, instead of each being coded as separate cheats, project64 can give you a drop-down menu to switch between different items.

I know that combo-cheats are specially coded in the project64 file format.
That is a cool feature. open an issue to track it.

OP
O

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Looking at the file format, it would be trivial to write a script that converted it to our cheat file format. So the only issue really is the licensing issue. Does the license still apply if we change the file to the mupen64plus format? I guess it comes down to whether the pj64 guys came up with those cheat codes or did they get them from some external source? If they're from an external source, then I don't see why we couldn't use them, but we might have to type them in manually. Dammit Jim, I'm a coder, not a lawyer. :borg:

There would be no legal issues if we wrote a script to change the format, and no they didn't come up with all those cheats thereself. Gent is the maintainer of the list, and he put a lot of time into it. It would kind of be a slap in the face to rip the package as Zilmar is my buddy... I emailed Gent, and hopefully he will respond to me.

OP
O

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Ok I got permission from Gent to use his cheats from Project64, so now we just have task of writing a script to convert them into our format and credit him for the work. (This means we can use the 1.6 package)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Ok I got permission from Gent to use his cheats from Project64, so now we just have task of writing a script to convert them into our format and credit him for the work. (This means we can use the 1.6 package)
Really great, but could you also try to write a converter for 1964 native cheat files aswell. Because PJ64 has some cheats 1964 hasn't etc.
And 1964 is GPL so it shouldn't be a problem.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Hmm, this is either a crazy idea or really obvious, but perhaps an import/export option in the cheat gui?
Yeah, I think an import function for PJ64/1964 cheat file formats would be good. As for export...they're already written to the cheats.cfg file in ~/.mupen64plus. So either users could just grab that file or we could create a save as dialog so users could specify their own filename. I'm ok with either, but since we already have the cheats in a file, export would be low priority. I opened issue 78 for adding import support:

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/issues/detail?id=78

Last edited:

bgn

the pj64 1.7 version has more cheats, i know it has not been released but you can find it running on the web, perhaps that file could be used?. regretfully i dont know how to write a script so good luck doing it.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
the pj64 1.7 version has more cheats, i know it has not been released but you can find it running on the web, perhaps that file could be used?. regretfully i dont know how to write a script so good luck doing it.
PJ64 1.7 has a new cheat system with unique cheats, decrypted, to prevent stealing, because they all were found by Gent and the PJ64 cheat team.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
There would be no legal issues if we wrote a script to change the format, and no they didn't come up with all those cheats thereself. Gent is the maintainer of the list, and he put a lot of time into it. It would kind of be a slap in the face to rip the package as Zilmar is my buddy... I emailed Gent, and hopefully he will respond to me.

Actually most of those codes i did actually make myself for pj64 :p but as i already said you are more then welcome to use them for this great project.

Also once you are ready to go let me know and i will give you the latest 1.7 cheat version that include a lot more cheat support :) of course it is upto you if you want to use the XP64 Format we use on 1.7 or you would prefer the standard GS/AR Format!

All The Best
Gent

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
~edited out~

Witten and myself did give Hacks permission and the XP64 code for when or if he wanted to use the system :) upto to you really if you want to use the 1.7 XP64 method or standard really. XP64 Method was introduced as a counter measure really.

Edit: and stop Editing okaygo :p