What's new

Here it is: Mupen64Plus v1.3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Only a month and a half after v1.2, and it's time to release Mupen64Plus v1.3. We have more new features and bug fixes in here than you can shake a stick at! Ebenblues did most of the work for this release, but okaygo, nmn, and myself have also contributed. The RELEASE file gives most of the changes, but the highlights are:

- New feature: Glide64 video plugin for 32-bit and 64-bit systems
- New feature: Combine mupen64 and mupen64_nogui into a single binary
- New feature: ability to change icon size in GTK GUI
- New feature: support different directories for install (plugins, icons, etc) and config (save games, config files)
- New feature: support for creating and using ~/.mupen64plus dir for storing user data
- New feature: support for multi-user installation via "make install" or "./install.sh"
- New feature: support for plugins given via command line option in GUI mode
- New feature: pause/continue functionality with LIRC
- Change fullscreen hotkey to Alt+Enter
- Bugfix: segfault in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for 64-bit dynarec
- Bugfix: 64-bit dynarec bug in genld()
- Bugfix: GTK GUI: Exiting via File -> Exit wasn't writing out config file to disk
- Bugfix: GTK GUI: "About" menu does not pop up while emulation is running
- Bugfix: Added plugin error checking before emulator is started
- Bugfix: Segfault in plugin_scan_directory()
- Bugfix: Closing emulation window now stops emulator
- Bugfix: GTK GUI: "Toolbar Style" now works
- Bugfix: Many other minor bug fixes, GTK warnings fixes, translation corrections, etc

Mupen64Plus has a new Home Page over at Google Code, with lots of useful information, screenshots, a bug tracker, a discussion forum, etc.

To download Mupen64Plus v1.3, just grab the package that you want:

Mupen64Plus-1-3-bin-32.zip
Mupen64Plus-1-3-bin-64.zip
Mupen64Plus-1-3-src.zip

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Great job! You can add fixed the Konqueror path issue and emulation window controls now work as well.

Only one possible issue, Rice seems to not work as well as before. I'm not sure if this is just me though, since glN64 works fine. I'd have to run more detailed tests with previous and svn versions to see if it was changes in mupen or my video driver.

kosmi

Just to say, i compile this verion of mupen64plus with no problem with yasm by default for 32-bit. Glide64 and resolution changes now also work. Many thanks to developers for that:).

For the fog problem with radeon driver, just for you to know that this is only r300 DRI driver problem because GL_EXT_fog_coord extension not included in it (precisely it's disabled in Mesa source due weird bugs in some cases). Radeon drivers like r200 and r100 has it and of course plugins works with fog enabled without problem.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Great work. Keep going :)
I made an ebuild for gentoo, if anyone is interested.
Link to bugzilla -> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215426

That's great, thanks for making the Gentoo ebuild. We really appreciate people making packages for Linux distros because nobody on the Mupen64Plus development team has much experience with making rpms, debs, ebuilds, etc, and getting them into the distributions.

There are more features and fixes planned for the next release as well - it's being tracked in the Issue Tracker on the Google Code site.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Great work. Keep going :)
I made an ebuild for gentoo, if anyone is interested.
Link to bugzilla -> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215426
I'm really happy to see this. One of our big goals with this release was to make Mupen64Plus more distro-friendly.

Code:
src_compile() {
	make PREFIX=${GAMES_DATADIR} ${LIRC} ${NOGUI} all || die "make failed"
}

src_install() {
	./install.sh ${D} || or die "install.sh failed"
	newicon icons/logo.png "${PN}.png"
	make_desktop_entry "${GAMES_BINDIR}/${PN}" Mupen64Plus
	dodoc README RELEASE TODO
	prepgamesdirs
}
I don't know much about gentoo ebuild files, but I was looking through the source and noticed that in the first line in src_install, you pass ${D} to install.sh. I couldn't find where that variable is defined, but I wanted to make sure you know that ${D} needs to resolve to the same location as ${GAMES_DATADIR}, otherwise mupen64plus will not be able to find the install dir.

Thanks for your contribution!

gen2brain

I am glad you like this, I first made svn ebuild, since I follow your work for last two months, with this release I thought it's time to post it to bugzilla. I would really like to see it in portage but I have no influence on this, the developers will decide, I just wrote ebuild, but I think there is a good chance to see it soon in the tree because mupen64 is discontinued and hard to maintain with all those patches they have now. ;)
btw. ${D} is something like virtual / . No wories, ebuild works just fine, I had to patch install.sh because gentoo keeps data in /usr/share/games and binaries in /usr/games/bin. This is usual practice, they just might not like those ffast-math and funroll-loops but they are fixable with sed.

Cheers :)

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
By the way, I didn't realize this just got released, The VCR is definitally broken, because it relied on a non-existant header and had function definitions wrong in the header file. I fixed this in SVN, but it may be a little heavy on headers (It was missing some before but I think I may have added some unnecessary ones) but I'm going to go fix that right now.

sl1pkn07

hello:

Tmem_nasm.asm:3: label or instruction expected at start of line
make[1]: *** [Tmem_nasm.o] Error 1
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/sl1pkn07/aplicaciones/mupen64plus-svn/glide64'
make: *** [plugins/glide64.so] Error 2
sl1pkn07@SpinFlo:~/aplicaciones/mupen64plus-svn$

i'm using rev 78 of SVN repository on kbuntu 64bits Gutsy Gibbon

greetings

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
hello:
Tmem_nasm.asm:3: label or instruction expected at start of line

Can you give us the line just before this, the one in which the assembler is called? It looks like whatever assembler you're using has a problem with the code.

sl1pkn07

yasm -f elf -m amd64 -DBITS=64 Tmem_nasm.asm -o Tmem_nasm.o

sl1pkn07@SpinFlo:~/aplicaciones/mupen64plus-svn$ yasm --version
yasm 0.5.0.1591

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
yasm -f elf -m amd64 -DBITS=64 Tmem_nasm.asm -o Tmem_nasm.o

sl1pkn07@SpinFlo:~/aplicaciones/mupen64plus-svn$ yasm --version
yasm 0.5.0.1591

I see. The Tmem_nasm.asm uses a keyword which was not introduced into yasm until ver 0.6.2. Which version of 'nasm' do you have? Maybe you can use that instead.

Eck

Gotta say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you," to you guys for all the work that went into this release.

Actually, make all, su - , make install failed for me the first time. You know why? I had the previous zips in the same folder when I extracted them and did a right click, extract here to the wrong, older package! :)

You guys must have fixed the "ginstall not found" thing in make install, eh?

Anyway, I looked and saw that nothing was in the /usr/local folders and did a make uninstall just in case before deleting that and extracting the right zip! Then it built and installed perfectly.

The GUI looks wonderful. I've only had time to configure it and test two games. I used the Glide64 with SuperMario64 and MarioKart64 along with my N64 pad and Adaptoid.

As always with Glide64, sometimes the fonts in the talk bubbles in Mario aren't bright and clear like they are normally (and are with glN64), but it played fine as did MarioKart64. I unchecked the disabled stuff regarding GLSL and such, checked the read frame buffer info and show frame buffer stuff and, as usual for me always on Linux, that screen in MarioKart just doesn't show the video. Hmm, maybe I have to turn on something else or it just doesn't work in the Linux versions?

The full screen alt-tab switch will leave new users less confused (assuming that not everyone reads that wiki page or included readme). I know that I hadn't known until recently that F1 used to be used for that and always wondered why I couldn't switch back and forth! Once I clicked the full screen button in the GUI I could never get back until I hit Esc. And I read the pdf for Mupen64! Must have missed something.

I expect I might be pleasantly surprised by the Rice plugin when I try games with it. The older released version (before you guys) seemed to always have some annoying bug or another and I rarely used it. But since your work concentrated a great deal on the Rice video plugin I'll surely check it out now. I never used 1964, where it came from I think. The plugin must be something special to garner all this work. :)

Just to mention, I installed this on a Debian Lenny system with the NVidia 169.09 driver currently in Sid installed the Debian way. Since it isn't in Debian repos yet, I felt it best to compile it rather than using the binary. Best way to ensure it's built based upon what I have here.

Mupen64Plus v1.3 really is a polished release. No errors noticed during compiling and installing and everything looks (and is) easily understandable to configure and use. It seems like a normal rpm, deb, whatever package could easily be built by distro maintainers. Maybe this will finally be a version of Mupen64 that isn't hidden away for only devotees to use, and will finally make it into official distributions.

Great work!

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Gotta say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you," to you guys for all the work that went into this release.
Your welcome, glad you like it. :)

You guys must have fixed the "ginstall not found" thing in make install, eh?
Yes, this should be fixed.

The full screen alt-tab switch will leave new users less confused (assuming that not everyone reads that wiki page or included readme).
I'm guessing you mean alt-enter. For 1.4, I'm working on adding a new tab to the configuration dialog to allow the user to map emulation actions like "toggle fullscreen" to controller buttons. The dialog also displays the keyboard shortcut for each action (although for now, the keyboard shortcuts will not be configurable). I'm also planning to add the hotkey next to the menu item for each action in the gtk gui. Hopefully these changes will help people learn the hotkeys.

Mupen64Plus v1.3 really is a polished release. No errors noticed during compiling and installing and everything looks (and is) easily understandable to configure and use. It seems like a normal rpm, deb, whatever package could easily be built by distro maintainers. Maybe this will finally be a version of Mupen64 that isn't hidden away for only devotees to use, and will finally make it into official distributions.

Great work!
That's my hope. We worked hard on making this release more distro-friendly. Thanks for the feedback!

Eck

Okay here's some more.

Namco Museum, which was unusable for like, forever until Glide64 v12 got it going, does not start with Glide64 or RiceVideo on Mupen64plus, but works fine with mupen64-0.5 and the Glide64 v12 plugin. On Plus, it only offers a black screen.

I still have both mupen's installed, the new one built and make install, and the original just extracted to a folder in my home folder, and the Glide64 v12 built and substituted for the original. I use the ini file from the Windows version of Glide64 Wonder++. That's not on your's, now, for which I haven't changed any of the plugins besides configuring them. I just update the mupen64-0.5 Glide64 to that v12 one.

I tried a few tinkerings in the configuration for Glide64 on Mupen64Plus but no go. It's strange since it's essentially the same as version 12 except for some fixes, or so I've read.

Since it seems that the 3 plugins, glN64, Glide64, and well I guess Rice is improved but the others behave about the same in both mupen64-0.5 and mupen64plus, from a user standpoint (and this user has not really tested a large amount of games) the old one would be favored still since that game runs fine and the others run about the same. Your GUI looks better and it builds, which are both improvements since mupen64-0.5 does not build on any distro I've tried it on. I never learned how to apply patches so that my contribute to that. I just run it from the binary.

The DrMario64 pills that can be seen with mupen64-0.5 and the Glide64-v12 plugin cannot be seen dropping with mupen64plus and the Glide64 plugin. Since it's never worked with glN64 I haven't tried that or Rice yet with it.

Nothing shows the video screen on MarioKart64, except on Windows Vista with Project 64 1.7 beta with the Glide64-wonder++ Windows version. I was shocked about a month ago when I started that game in there and the video showed up. Isn't that supposed to work somehow on Linux too?

Günther1

Okay here's some more.

Namco Museum, which was unusable for like, forever until Glide64 v12 got it going, does not start with Glide64 or RiceVideo on Mupen64plus, but works fine with mupen64-0.5 and the Glide64 v12 plugin. On Plus, it only offers a black screen.

Well, the Glide64 plugin got severily broken during the port to 64 Bit. The assembler code is horrible brittle. I fixed all issues I found, but I only tested with Zelda Majoras Mask. If you can use git, a bisect would help a lot - the history is available at http://repo.or.cz/w/Glide64.git.

Eric89GXL

First of all, excellent work on the emulator. It runs really well. Thanks. Two quick questions:

1) Should the 64-bit version run slower than the 32-bit version? It does on my (64-bit AMD/Ubuntu) system.

2) Where do I put hi-res textures to get the rice plugin to recognize them? I tried putting them in the the plugins folder under hires_textures/[Game Name] but that didn't work.

I was also thinking it would be nice to have the option to force 4:3 aspect ratio in the graphics plugins---I run a 16:9 screen, and I'd prefer my graphics be pillarboxed instead of stretched.

Last edited:

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
1) Should the 64-bit version run slower than the 32-bit version? It does on my (64-bit AMD/Ubuntu) system.
At the moment, there are no optimizations to the 64-bit Dynamic Recompilation core and it is expected to run slower. Sorry.

2) Where do I put hi-res textures to get the rice plugin to recognize them? I tried putting them in the the plugins folder under hires_textures/[Game Name] but that didn't work.
You can put them into ~/.mupen64plus/hires_texture/ and it will work. Remember to enable it though. It only works in Rice's Video Plugin as we do not have GlideHQ support.

Eric89GXL

At the moment, there are no optimizations to the 64-bit Dynamic Recompilation core and it is expected to run slower. Sorry.

You can put them into ~/.mupen64plus/hires_texture/ and it will work. Remember to enable it though. It only works in Rice's Video Plugin as we do not have GlideHQ support.

That's kind of what I expected with the 64-bit version, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out.

That's strange about the hi-res. I put them in "/home/mediator/.mupen64plus/hires_texture/The Legend of Zelda" and it still doesn't work. I have mupen64plus 32-bit version installed. This texture pack works with Project64 under windows, so it shouldn't be the problem. No big deal if it doesn't work.

The relevant output if I run mupen64plus from the command line is:

[RiceVideo] SSE processing enabled.
[RiceVideo] Found ROM 'THE LEGEND OF ZELDA', CRC b71170ec2bd71676-45
[RiceVideo] Enabled hacks for game: 'THE LEGEND OF ZELDA'
InitExternalTextures
Texture loading option is enabledFinding all hires texturesInitializing OpenGL Device Context

And that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.