What's new

Real shaders are here. Cel & Bloom

cdiddy7

I Know this is the hi res texture thread but it seems this would best fit here.

Here you guys might like this. It's not in the greatest shape but It's a start. I concocted this shader when I was working on a bloom shader mod for Resident Evil 4. Its based off of Timeslips DLL for Oblivion. I can confirm it works with Project 1.7 and mudlords rice 6.1.3. To Install place in the same folder as the project64.exe . Prssing the the + on the number pad toggles the effect on and off.

UPDATE...
I've updated the shader to look a bit more vivid and some of the really dark spots aren't so dark anymore feel free to give suggestions.
zzz37.jpg

DOWNLOAD: Download

zz2.jpg

zz3.jpg

zz8.jpg

You can make this affect more bearable by changing the the brightness and gamma etc. in nvidia control panel like these settings here.
zzn.jpg

so they look more like this (these pictures brightness and contrast have been edited quickly in photoshop so the control panel tweaks look better)
zz2col.jpg

zz3col.jpg

zz8col.jpg

DOWNLOAD;
http://files.filefront.com/Very+Bata+Celrar/;9673733;/fileinfo.html

If anyone who knows anything about editing shaders whants to edit these files for the beter your more than welcome to make your own versions if you like. I will be busy Impoving the bloom shader.
If you want the bloom shader here it is http://files.filefront.com/RE+BloomRC22rar/;9448621;/fileinfo.html
Other versions can be found here http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=2236&st=0

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Nice to see that!
It's great to see some good new ideas!
Looking forward to updates and more shaders!

mudlord

Banned
Nice discovery. Is this a code hack? If so, can you send the source files my way please, so I can implement these into the renderers?

If not, you just saved me loads of issues. I have been grappling with the best way to compile shaders on offscreen surfaces for ages, and yet you bet me. So well done for this approach.

Now one more question, is the code explicitly tied into the bloom shader? Because, I have thoughts on coding more shaders for this. :)

EDIT: Found the authors site, and he even gave out the source code!!!

Thanks for bringing this mod to my attention!

Last edited:

NightK

Great :D
Although I Can't make it work, for some reason, I hope to see a more colorfull version in the future, and hope that this helps mudlord :D

NightK

I press +, and n-rage plugin changes the pak to memory pak, I disabled n-rage plugin and tried it again and nothing happened maybe I'm doing something wrong :p

mudlord

Banned
Man this is annoying...

Sometimes the shaders sporadically work, sometimes they don't..Which is a major shame, as I made did some mods to the fullscreen effect DLL, so that it works on other programs than Oblivion (so it allows for greyscale effects). But unfortunately I am unable to test, due to the original DLL being quite erratic in its function...
Oh well.

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
Nice one. Got no effect at first, but it´s working nicely now.

EDIT: Mud, the full screen issue in rice, you know, when it crashes when you try to exit full screen..Is there any chance to fix that? Or is it something i forgot to check in the configuration? It has been that way as long as i can remember..

Double edit: Try this with Paper Mario, it´s not bad...Besides the usual flickering issue.

Triple edit: Double posters, use the edit button!

Last edited:
OP
C

cdiddy7

Mudlord if you look at the (cel) fx file you'll see that this shader is totally ghetto rigged there is allot of useless junk in there like the bright pass and bloom code which can be deleted, I kind of just whipped this up quick. The edge detect shader isn't that great ether I modified it the best I could but other shader passes don't like to work with it. I've been Looking for a better edge detect shader for while now and haven't had much luck. As far as the source code go's modifying and rebuilding it has also been tricky. The current DLL only seems to support two passes and seems to have a hard time using long assembly passes.
I notice for me at least that this shader runs Mario with just a black and white edge detect effect, so some games handle the effect differently.

Also this might interest you, I have nothing to do with it but its a very nice Bloom effect for opengl. It works in opengl mode but there are a few problems you might want to check it out http://www.madabouthats.org/projects/cgshader

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Thanks for the link.

I have been having severe troubles getting your mod to work at all, and even Timeslip's sources, even though my hardware supports Shader Model 4.0..

Anyway's if anyone could get this DLL to work, I would love to hear it.

OP
C

cdiddy7

That DLL looks like the simple black&white shader if it is, it only works for oblivion and has very limited functionality.

The DLL I posted should work for zelda oot using project64 1.7 (and probably 1.6) and ver. 6.1.3 of your plugin. and I also have a DirectX10 card, 8800GTS. I'll look closer at the dll you posted and see if i can do anything with it.;)

mudlord

Banned
That DLL looks like the simple black&white shader if it is, it only works for oblivion and has very limited functionality.

Main thing, was I removed the checks for Oblivion, so it could have the potential of working on other DX9 apps...

My main objective is to whip up something that allows for different shader effects, like nightvision, B/W, sepia and other things....:)..So far, its not going well, since I can't get your original mod to work. Though, once I get it working well, I might then be able to test out the DLL more thoroughly and add more shaders...

mudlord

Banned
The current DLL only seems to support two passes and seems to have a hard time using long assembly passes.

I looked, and it seemed like it just supported Oblivion, as it uses a binary patcher to patch a specific offset so it enforces use of that DLL. It would be possible just to make the DLL hook the Project64 process, but then thats restricting things...

In other news, I fixed the multiple passes issue. The HDR shader now works great . :) So, shaders with more than 2 passes should theorectically work, but I haven't checked.

mudlord

Banned
The edge detect shader isn't that great ether I modified it the best I could but other shader passes don't like to work with it. I've been Looking for a better edge detect shader for while now and haven't had much luck.

Tried using a Sobel edge detection shader?